1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rid of "XP AntiMalware 2010," But More Problems?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by venusvictrix, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venusvictrix

venusvictrix Thread Starter

Hi, there. I was recently infected with that annoying "XP AntiMalware 2010" virus. Malwarebytes got rid of it for me, but now I have more problems. Basically, I can't install new programs or connect to the internet, and it seems like the problem is getting more and more pervasive.

After I first restarted after Malwarebytes did its thing, Opera would work, but FireFox wouldn't. So, I tried to re-download and install FireFox, but once it was finished downloading, it wouldn't install. It would get to "22%" as it finished extracting itself, and then freeze. I couldn't close it with the task manager. I tried to restart again, and the same thing happened, although this time Opera, Chrome, and IE couldn't connect to any sites. Windows Update said it had three updates to install, so I thought that maybe that was complicating the issue, so I tried to get them to install -- but Windows Update got stuck at "initializing download." So from what it looks like, my programs as well as browsers can't access the internet. I restarted again to see if the updates would install during the restart, and it got to the "Installing 1 of 3; do not turn off or unplug your computer" message, and stayed there for about an hour. At this point I had to leave for work, so I left it. I'm pretty sure I'll return home to find it overheated and still stuck on that screen.

Things look pretty bleak right now. I've browsed the other XP AntiMalware threads and wow, this thing is evil. :( If I have to do a full recovery from my restore discs, then so be it... but I'd rather not.

I'm on my work computer right now -- which, aside from my phone, is the only place I can access the internet -- so if there are any programs that can help me, I'll download them to my flash drive and run them at home. I grabbed HijackThis! and will run it and try to post the log when I get home. Thanks in advance for anything you can do; I really appreciate it. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice