1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rif wav files - How can I remove the header

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by A4driver, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. A4driver

A4driver Thread Starter

PROBLEM: I have this CD with files that wont be easily recognised my some of my audio software.
    ACTION: I want to convert these to mp3 but they have this annoying space at the beginning and end, which means I cannot 'stick' them together without annoying blank bits in the middle of the action.
    I am currently 'knitting' them together by manually pasting them onto the end of each other in one file and editing out the space. Time consuming or what. I searched many web sites for neat little programs and although there are millions which can convert files to mp3, non offer the solution I seek.

One of my audio programs says they are rif, another says they are wma.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use MP3Trim to trim the silence off the start and end of MP3 files, works like a champ.

3. A4driver

A4driver Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I found the program and it doesn't work. I still have the silence..... It doesn't like me!

4. JohnWill

Configure it to be more aggressive in silence detection.

5. A4driver

A4driver Thread Starter

I have configured the program to be higest level agressive and it still doesnt work. It only wants to remove at the end of a track and not at the beginning where the space is.

I have 12 to 17 files which I want to make into one. So far they all have space at the beginning. I am using CDex to import and convert from the CD. There is no option for removing silences from RIF WAV files. Perhaps I should keep on looking for a program that can do this.

6. JohnWill

I suspect there's some noise to start the silence, because that's the only time I've ever seen that happen. Of course, you can manually trim with MP3Trim too, and you even have the convenient preview feature to hear what it'll sound like after the trimming.

7. A4driver

A4driver Thread Starter

I have listened to the file and cannt detect any noise. I have found that the silence lasts .5 second, unfortunatley MP3Trim only offers the smallest cut at 1 second, so I cannot even get it to do that automatically. Which is why I edit it manually in WaveLab.
    Maybe I will ask CDex if they can offer a solution.

8. JohnWill

I don't think listening is sufficient, but I can't say. However, MP3Trim will cut right to the frame level, much finer than .5 seconds, at least it does for me. It also offers a manual option, which I use for the tracks that have noise that escapes the trimming feature.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice