1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

rigging up a sound bar to a cheapo TV?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by tonyacardo, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I have a Westinghouse 43' Smart TV (Best Buy Black Friday special). I notice that sometimes it is hard to hear certain things on it. It comes from the factory with a speaker system in it.

I went to Walmart. I bought a 34 dollar Onn sound bar. It was supposed to have digital audio output, but it doesn't work or something. Next I took and RCA jack setup with and input and output on one end and only an out on the other and hooked it up to it. That does not work either.

I also tried it with the standard single RCA jack supplied by Onn, no luck there.

Anyway, my digital audio should work but does not. I did notice that the connector went in smoothly/firmly and clicked on the Onn soundbar but did not do that on the WestingHouse TV. It was sloppy and no little click (or bump) to let you know it was put in correctly.

Also, my Monster digital audio output came with some extra connectors, two little probe type connectors that could also be attached but they would not fit into my gear that way, so I used just the standard connectors..

My TV settings only gives me RAW or PCM. I tried the Onn on both of those settings and it did not work.

Oh yes, the Onn speaker plays a little tune when it fires up, so the speaker is working. Also, there are 4 little lights you can see through the speaker mesh and they are on.

What do you think is wrong? (besides me buying crappy equipment)
    Is there anyway to make this work?

2. Rudy2206

Rudy2206

I had some problems connecting my Vizio sound bar to my Vizio TV. I found that I had overlooked the selection under speakers "turn on external Speakers". It looks like you have already tried all the external speaker options your TV offers. Have you done an internet and YouTube search for your TV's external speaker set up and your Onn sound bar? I used to work for BestBuy selling TV's and peripherals and know that your Westinghouse TV has very few selections to adjust anything. We didn't sell many once an interested buyer looked at the picture quality and options of TV's for $100.00 more. I am not trying to shame you for buying that TV but I think a search and an email to the manufacturer just might have the answers you are looking for.

3. tonyacardo

I will try but Westinghouse has horrible customer service. This TV does have an HDMI output. If I get a soundbar that will accept HDMI can I get it to work. I can return the Onn soundbar.

I also want a soundbar that sounds adjust with my TV sound. I am hoping I wont have to have any more remote controls. Will an HDMI sound bar connection adjust volume that way?

4. Rudy2206

Rudy2206

That is a question for either a salesman or the manufacturer. As for your volume question, on my TV I have a choice of fixed or variable outputs for external speakers. If you haven't run across a selection like that by now on the TV I don't think you have that option. If I could get my hands on your equipment I could give you more precise answers. I am just not sure why the TV has the HDMI option when the menu is so limited. Might be a "Daisy Chain" monitor option. Sorry to be of such little help but it's kind of like instructing a surgeon over the phone.

5. tonyacardo

No problem. I appreciate the help.
    Now I know it is worth making a trip to Best Buy to ask somebody. You can't really ask the people at Walmart about things, anything really. Product knowledge is not their strong suit.

6. jvic

jvic

First Name:
    John
    I hooked mine up through the headphone jack on the tv ( if you have one)

7. Rudy2206

Rudy2206

You are right about product information lacking at WalMart. My brother got a part time job with them and they had him selling firearms and he didn't know diddley. BestBuy is your best bet. If the person you talk to can't help much just ask for someone who can.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice