Right Alt Key Behaving Strangely

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CluelessInSeattl

Will
This morning my Right Alt key stopped working as expected.

I tried saving a text file in an old text editor called NoteTab by pressing R. Alt+F, but the dropdown "File" menu did not drop down.

So I switched to Word 2003 and tried the same key combination, R. Alt+F, and instead of opening the dropdown "File" menu, it instead caused a "Footnotes" pane to open at the bottom of the document.

But, in both programs, the combination of Left Alt+F does open the "File" dropdown menu.

I've been using these programs for years and have never seen this odd behavior before.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

plodr

Liz
Easiest first step - try another keyboard. Even if it is a laptop, connect an external keyboard.
That will isolate if it is a hardware (keyboard) problem or software.

keltic1der

Donald
Does the alt key work outside of those programs? One way to find out is to when you reply, hold down the alt key and enter the number 0225 and you should see a letter that looks like: á
If you do not, your alt key on the keyboard is broke

CluelessInSeattl

Will
Thanks, Liz and Donald, for your speedy replies!

I was able to isolate the problem: I was using Windows XP Remote Desktop from a laptop in bed to access my PC in the kitchen.

First I tried the R. Alt key locally on the laptop in bed and it worked as expected.

Then I got up and went into the kitchen and logged onto the PC and tried its R Alt key, and it also worked properly.

So, I shut down Remote Desktop, shut down both computers, rebooted them both, and then ran Remote Desktop again from the laptop, and voilà! The right Alt key was restored to it normal function.

So, the problem seems to have been a transitory glitch in Windows Remote Desktop.

Even though I was able to figure this one out on my own, it's sure nice to know there are folks out there ready and willing to help me out when I run into a problem that I may not be able solve on my own next time.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online