Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Right Alt Key Behaving Strangely

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CluelessInSeattl 
#1 ·
This morning my Right Alt key stopped working as expected.

I tried saving a text file in an old text editor called NoteTab by pressing R. Alt+F, but the dropdown "File" menu did not drop down.

So I switched to Word 2003 and tried the same key combination, R. Alt+F, and instead of opening the dropdown "File" menu, it instead caused a "Footnotes" pane to open at the bottom of the document.

But, in both programs, the combination of Left Alt+F does open the "File" dropdown menu.

I've been using these programs for years and have never seen this odd behavior before.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

#4 ·
Thanks, Liz and Donald, for your speedy replies!

I was able to isolate the problem: I was using Windows XP Remote Desktop from a laptop in bed to access my PC in the kitchen.

First I tried the R. Alt key locally on the laptop in bed and it worked as expected.

Then I got up and went into the kitchen and logged onto the PC and tried its R Alt key, and it also worked properly.

So, I shut down Remote Desktop, shut down both computers, rebooted them both, and then ran Remote Desktop again from the laptop, and voilà! The right Alt key was restored to it normal function.

So, the problem seems to have been a transitory glitch in Windows Remote Desktop.

Even though I was able to figure this one out on my own, it's sure nice to know there are folks out there ready and willing to help me out when I run into a problem that I may not be able solve on my own next time.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.