1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

right angle sata

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katokato, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katokato

katokato Thread Starter

my 5770 gpu covers 2 out of 4 of my sata ports.(1 for current hdd(first port), 1 for cd(second one), and 1 for (maybe) caviar black hard drive(3rd or 4th port which are blocked by gpu).

i am thinking about adding a new hard drive(maybe caviar black) and transfer my os from my current hdd to the new one, and use the old one for data and to put page file(to reduce load) it?

will a right angle sata cable be able to fit on my mobo and not interfere with the gpu?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

You need to tell us which mobo you have. Without knowing how the SATA ports are arranged, cannot say. Some come straight up from the mobo, others are right angled.

At the least, a photo of the situation will help. Considering the cost of the cable, might be worth getting one and seeing how it goes.

3. katokato

katokato Thread Starter

my mobo is: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&lang=en&product=3436818

the gpu(ati 5770) cover the yellow and blue sata ports and the pcie x1 port. i would want to access either the yellow or blue one with a right angle sata to add a new hdd(the sata ports being used currently are black and white).

and does it matter which color sata port i plug my hard drive into?

and also sata doesnt use jumpers to determine master or slave, so how will bios know which hard drive to boot, or do i set this in the bios options?

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Hmmm. I assume that the card is covering the SATA slots with the case? Hard to say if it would help with a right angle cable- I would tend toward not, given the depth of the card. But again, if you can get hold of a cable, give it a try. If it doesn't fit, then you could always use a SATA card. This plugs into a PCI slot (the white ones) and gives you more SATA ports. Link gives some on Canadian Newegg (assume you are in Canada from the previous link). Cost wise, for general purpose a 20 buck card should be fine. Easy to fit, and usually simple to set up- few drivers, but win tends to do most of it for you. If you did get the cable and no success, at least it wouldn't be wasted :)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=BESTMATCH&Description=pci+sata+card+internal

For the ports, dont worry about which port, Win will again take care of it. For master/ slave, correct there is none, but Win will detect the drives and work out which is the boot disk (from info on the disk). So no worries there. Nothing to set in BIOS, and generally no probs at all.

Keep updated, hopefully this is useful :

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice