1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right click context menu

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by brent2, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brent2

brent2 Thread Starter

I have this problem, I right click on a file and the context menu appears but if I click to open a program at the top of the menu it will not open.
    Now if I click on something else the same program icon can appear lower down the list and it will then open.
    Windows xp SP3, Pent 4 2.6Ghz, plenty ram and HD.
    Any advice please.

2. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

3. brent2

brent2 Thread Starter

Many thanks for reply, in fact two days ago I was using shellex to try and discover the solution and I disabled all non microsoft one at a time and checking to see if the context menu worked. There was no need to reboot as mentioned in the article you kindly directed me to.
    The culprit turned out to be PaintStar, a graphics program and the actual item was picview.dll. Keeping it disabled seemed to cure the problem, in fact I have now uninstalled the program as I hardly ever used it.
    What spurred me on to a solution was the fact I had installed a new program, "iso-recorder" and that would not work when clicked on in context menu. Now all seems to be working.
    So many thanks Joan, this solution may help others.
    brent

4. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice