1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right Click: Explorer Crashes | Rundll32 Crash

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Backwell, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

Hey, I've had a few issues with my laptop. My tech level is pretty high however I don't know how to go about fixing this because I'm new to vista. Not sure what caused the issue but recently when right clicking anywhere on my desktop Explorer.exe crashes and restarts itself.

That's not the only issue though, when coming back from being idle or turning on my computer I am greeted with multiple error pop ups. Run Dll32 has stopped working, Task Scheduler Engine has stopped working.

Thanks for your help; I am running Windows Home Premium vista 64bit, it sounds like a compatibility issue / shell. I've heard windows aero theme can cause problems but it's the only theme available without using windows blind IIRC.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like serious infections. Scan with at least 2 anti-malware apps and your AV.

Crashes of the context menu are usually due to an addition that is incompatible. What programs have you installed lately that may have added menu items? Check the options for those programs to see if the menu can be turned off. You can also try some of these tools to turn off some context menu entries. The Event Viewer may give you a hint about which one.

Context Edit
    ShellExView
    ShellMenuView

Configuring Windows Explorer:
    Suggested Modifications to the Context Sensitive Menus

3. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

I don't recall installing anything that added anything to my context menu. What happened at first was; I actually don't remember but I had to do a system restore and following the restore I ran a virus scan. 6 were found all were contained. I forgot what the rest of your post said so I'll post back after I read it.

4. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

They don't do anything. Downloading and installing ContestEdit then running it; a loading bar shows up saying Reading type data after that nothing happens yet it still shows in processes.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try another one. These will try to read all the context menu entries from the registry. They should do it pretty quickly, unless something is tying up access to the registry. Try turning off any other programs that are running in your tray, too. Or you may need to use them in Safe Mode. It would be informative to see if the menu works in Safe Mode.

Another tool that you might try is Autoruns. Under the Explorer section, it will list all the dll's that load on boot and add entries to the context menu. If you see any missing, delete them. You can also disable them temporarily (Uncheck them) and see what happens.

6. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

I do appreciate your help but these programs are ridiculous. There are over three thousand entries under the Explorer tab and I don't understand what you mean by missing, how do I know if somethings missing. If it's missing I can't see it. I don't have a premonition of all entries that are supposed to exist. I don't know what to do with any of the programs, I have 4 programs sitting on my desktop and I have no idea what to do with them unfortunately.

7. shortfatbaldguy

shortfatbaldguy

Windows explorer locks up my desktop when right clicking. This problem only arose after a clean install of Vista and the installation of Office student. Any help understandable to a technophobic luddite would be greatly appreciated.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Repairing the context menu is a long and very tedious task. If you have no idea what placed the faulty entry there, then trial and error is the only way to find the problem.

Missing files are indicated by a "File Missing" message in its location section.

With Autoruns, look through the list on context menu entries. They will be listed in the "ContextMenuHandlers" sections. Look for entries that you may have added lately. If you see none that catch your eye, then you need to try disabling each, one at a time, until you find the one that causes the problem.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please start your own thread.

10. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

I can't seem to find any 'file missings' I do see a few 'n/a' however.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

There may not be any missing. Usually, uninstallers leave at least a few behind, but not always.

Do you see any that relate to any software that you may have installed recently? (By the way, you can hide MS entries in the menu so that there are fewer to look through.)

The problem could also be in a submenu, like the New menu or the Send To menu. Some drives show up in Send To. Is there anything unusual going on with any drives, new ones added, or devices added that appear as drives, like an iPod, USB drive, camera, or anything like that?

Does this happen only on the desktop? If so, there are a few items that typically appear only in the desktop context menu, like the settings for your graphics card. Any updates to graphics drivers or similar?

As you can see, there are loads of possibilities. But something may catch your eye at some point. ShellExView or ShellMenuView may even note any problems they find.

12. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

eset antivirus.
    That adds one? Scan this item?

13. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

Ok, I used ShellExView and disabled all context menus and it stopped happening. I then enabled one by one to see what it was and the culprit was 'DesktopContext Class Nvidia Display properties extension.

14. Backwell

Backwell Thread Starter

My only issues now are on start up. When starting up Rundll 32 crashes and Task scheduler engine has stopped working.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!