1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right click in explorer sometimes has spinning blue circle

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozegirl, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Win 7 Home 64 bit, Office 365 Home, Microsoft Security Essentials - all updated Firefox and IE both installed.

Issue:

This has been happening for the past couple of weeks following a BSOD crash. I got the computer running again after disabling certain services....for a couple of days the computer seemed to run better than ever, and I was also able to eliminate another problem with office apps being stuck in task manager after being closed.

So the new problem - sometimes (not always) - seems to work Ok when I first boot up computer and if I log out and back in it resets OK, but otherwise after a morning of normal operation, I start to get issues with explorer:

Opening the explorer window sometimes shows just Libraries on the left pane, and on the right whatever folder I am in (and sometimes the icons may not all be displayed other than as a generic graphic). Sometimes the icons on the desktop nearly all go to white as well.

The strange thing is, if I right click on Libraries and choose "open in a new window" I get everything on the left that I should - Downloads, Recent Places, Desktop, Onedrive, Libraries with all it's subfolders, Computer, showing all the drives, and Network with connected entities.

So I can use this to navigate to another folder.

However, if I right click on anything in the right pane, instead of getting the context menu, I get the spinning blue circle which goes on for minutes until I tire of it and use Task Manager to close the folder.

Reopening causes the same problem.

Most of the time, though not always, if I "end task" on explorer and restart, it comes back afresh and works normally, though once it has had a "blue circle" episode it tends to recur randomly after.

If I log out of my profile and back in that seems to work the best, other than of course a restart of the computer.

I have run sfc /scannow twice and it found no problems.

I have cleared data using disc cleanup

I deleted the Microsoft XPS printer as I never use it and someone else found this to be a problem

I do not use onedrive or onenote.

I used Shellex view to select and disable all non-microsoft items on the menu.

This last tip was something that is supposed to fix context-menu problems, but it doesn't seem to have worked for me.

At the moment when it happens, I end task on the folder that is open and log out and back in, but this is not a great solution because I have sync software running and this causes it to restart and when it starts up it does a whole sync of the folders included for sync which drains resources and slows down the sync process until it has done a whole sweep of everything.

Any ideas what else I can try to resolve this issue?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Yes.. The other issues are now fully resolved, just leaving this .... but it doesn't happen every time - just when the computer has been running for a while... maybe just too many processes going at once? I understand sometimes you have to wait a while for menus to appear etc, but normally the navigation pane comes up straight away and at worst right clicks take maybe 10 secs to materialise - but this just seems to stall indefinitely...

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You might be trying fix the un-fixable. As you said in a previous thread
    Saving needed data and files to an external drive, would be my only suggestion.

5. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Yes, that has been done and my new computer is expected on Tuesday, however I am still trying to use this one in the meantime, and will still have a use for it when the new one is installed. I am experimenting with a few things - retrying the disabling of the context menu items - although I disabled them and quit & restarted explorer before testing, it seems that not all of them were properly disabled, so I am now trying after rebooting. I was surprised to find on rebooting that one that I had disabled was in fact now re-enabled - the Winrar items - so I have disabled that again & restarted & now it is disabled. Will see how that goes.
    It may be a program or driver causing the conflict - so I'll see if I can find the culprit.

Just posted here in case someone had experienced something similar recently. I haven't installed any new programs or hardware, and my husband has the same computer with a lot of mutual software and I've tested for malware, so I'm thinking perhaps it's a bit of bad memory or hard drive, Thought of doing a chkdsk but that can take ages and I didn't want to tie the computer up that long.

It's not something that stops me from using the computer, but it slows things down when it happens and is very annoying.

Thanks for your help :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice