1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right Click Menu.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by driver_uk2001, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. driver_uk2001

driver_uk2001 Thread Starter

Hi guys i need to change what options are available in the right click menu. I need to remove the set as desktop background, Is there anyone that knows how i can accomplish this?

Thanx
    Mick

2. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

paste this into notepad and save as anything.reg, then double click it to make the change to the registry that removes the menu option.

"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
    "NoChangingWallPaper"=dword:00000001"

However should this not work, and it has been known on occasions. Let me know as there are other ways to remove it.

3. driver_uk2001

Hi yea that didnt work, when i tried to add it to the registry it said that the specified file is not a registry script and i can only import binary registry files.

When i try to import it using regedit i get this error also....

The specified file is not a registry file. You can only import registry files.

The file is named background.reg.

Hope this helps. Maybe i done something wrong (known me thats probs the case)

Thanx
    Mick

4. driver_uk2001

Well i managed to get it imported but the option is still there for every user except the admin lol. so it does work but for the wrong person haha..

Hope this helps

Thanx
    Mick

5. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

Only options i would think from here would be to do this for every user. which depending on the amount of users you may have is next to impossible.
    otherwise
    You would be better advised to create an OU to host each of the machines on which you wish to restrict this option and adding an entry for a file called "Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp" in to the following Policy location:
    Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | File System
    If you add a file, simply select the location from your own machine and Windows will enter the file as %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp

If the file does not exist on your computer, navigate to a website, right-click an image (any image) and select Set as Background. This will create the file mentioned above and allow you select it from within Group Policy Editor.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Open regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If the right click context handler is there you can delete it by right clicking and selecting "delete".

Alternately you can use shellexview to find it and disable it:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

7. driver_uk2001

Hi thanx for the reply, i have tried searching regedit and also used shellexview to try and find it but with no joy. Is there any other ways of disableing this option? i need set as background image removed from every right click option, wether it be on a website or be in the my pictures folder.

Thanks again

Mick

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice