1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right-click -> New -> but no "Microsoft Office Word Document"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dekilaz, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dekilaz

dekilaz Thread Starter

Hi all,

When I right-click to bring up the folder menu, the "new" bar contains many of the other office applications, but not word. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Dekilaz

Attached Files:

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

There's TweakUI -- may work with Vista or not, so set a restore point first if you try it.

On XP I went through "Templates" in TweakUI and managed to "Create" a Word option by navigating to C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Templates\winword.doc.

Although personally I'd just assign a hot-key combo to run Word (say CTRL+ALT+W).

HTH

3. dekilaz

dekilaz Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! Couldn't get Tweak UI to run on Vista, so I guess I'm stuck until someone decides to release a similar tool for that operating system. Thanks for the tip, though!

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

5. dekilaz

dekilaz Thread Starter

I guess I'm stuck with the problem, as I cannot find any solution for this anywhere. I've even reinstalled office, but to no effect. My "solution" was a registry hack where I added a "NullFile" value under "ShellNew" for Word 8, thus giving me the option to create new Word 97-2003 documents. However, I can't understand why my computer can't comply with the NullFile value I've set for Word 12.

I guess this problem runs pretty deep, and that it's only fixable by doing a format and clean install of everything. So I'll get around to fixing it... eventually :p

Anyways, thanks a lot for taking the time to try to help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice