1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right click on Folders not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darlin1937, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darlin1937

darlin1937 Thread Starter

I am running Windows xp home edition Service pack 3
    320gb hard drive
    2GB ram.

I just installed Nortons Security Suite from my cable company and noticed when i right click on folders
    I get the attached message..some times the OX # changes. When it asks if i want to terminate of debug
    I click on "debug" but what do i know.

After doing this 2 times for 2 different folders. I lose my Wallpaper..goes to white with the selections of
    recovering etc.

The main folders i have tried this with (did others also) that concern me, are My Pictures, My Music and My
    Documents.

I have to honesty say i am not sure this all happened after uninstalling McAfee and installing Nortons, which is
    done at one time (cable company has a button to select remove McAfee and install Nortons.
    I have been gone for a month and don't really recall the last time i tried right clicking.

I have tried a system restore to the time when i changed from McAfee to Nortons, and my system restore
    will not work on those dates.

I have also tried to delete new programs that i have downloaded, after installing. Also get an error message

Can anyone help me with this problem.
    Thank you if you can, also thank you if you can't

Darlene

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

These can be hard to track down. Did you reboot after uninstalling McAfee and then again after installing Norton?

Context Menu Repair

3. darlin1937

This is a service offered by the cable company that is my ISP.

They had, on their site, where to download this is what it said

Attention Comcast McAfee® Customers.
    If you are currently running McAfee, your subscription will expire soon! Remember - the Norton Security Suite is complimentary and included with your subscription!

Switch From McAfee Now
    that led to a d/l that took McAfee off and loaded Norton, i didn't have to do them separately.

Hope this helps.

Thanx

4. darlin1937

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

That may be part of the problem. When you uninstall McAfee, many pieces of the program cannot be removed until the machine is rebooted. Drivers, in particular, can only be removed just before Windows loads. So leftovers from McAfee may well have interfered with the installation of anything new.

Try uninstalling both, using any "cleanup" tools offered on their web sites, and then after a reboot, reinstalling from scratch.

6. darlin1937

thank you so much for your help

I used revouninstaller got rid of all pieces of Nortons.
    After reboot, everything is now working.

I won't put Nortons back on, dont' like any program that messes with my computer (my messing is enough)
    Besides just a big hog suite.

I am installing Avira Antivir, which a friend of mine was using and very happy with.
    It is free..at least at this time.

This site has yet to let me down on any problem that i have ran across.
    Many cudos to you and all the help.

Many Thanks
    Darlene

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice