Right click on my laptop's touchpad not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kyeonwoo23

I've noticed this problem on my laptop some time ago, the right click doesn't work while the left click works perfectly. I didn't think much about it at first since I use a mouse but when I started having other problems with drivers on my laptop, I discovered there is one driver in the mouse/touchpad area which appears as "unplugged", I've tried updating it and updating the other ones related to mouse/touchpad and it still doesn't work. It's starting to bother me. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or drivers issue or the right click might just not work anymore (I don't know how).

Lenovo T490, Windows 10

Attachments

To perform a right-click on a Touchpad, either tap with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad or tap with one finger in the lower-right corner of the touchpad.

kyeonwoo23

To perform a right-click on a Touchpad, either tap with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad or tap with one finger in the lower-right corner of the touchpad.
The right click simply doesn't work. That's the problem.

Couriant

James
Maybe use a LiveCD of Ubuntu (linux OS that can run via memory and does not install) and see if the right click is working there so you can confirm if it's a hardware issue.

EDIT: I must be thinking of vendor specific software for input devices as Windows 10 does not have one natively.

To confirm, you are using the touchpad for the right click, and not a physical button? if so there is a Reset option under Touchpad, maybe try that and see if that will fix the gestures of the right click option?

Last edited:

kyeonwoo23

Maybe use a LiveCD of Ubuntu (linux OS that can run via memory and does not install) and see if the right click is working there so you can confirm if it's a hardware issue.

EDIT: I must be thinking of vendor specific software for input devices as Windows 10 does not have one natively.

To confirm, you are using the touchpad for the right click, and not a physical button? if so there is a Reset option under Touchpad, maybe try that and see if that will fix the gestures of the right click option?
What is a physical button? I'm sorry, it's the laptop's touchpad, the cursor works, the left click works, it's just the right click which doesn't.

kyeonwoo23

Also I've tried doing that LiveCd thing and I couldn't access the BIOS for some reason (my laptop doesn't have boot menu key)

Couriant

James
What is a physical button? I'm sorry, it's the laptop's touchpad, the cursor works, the left click works, it's just the right click which doesn't.
1620411078702.png

The button numbered 3 in this picture... this is what i meant by physical button as you can do a right click with the touchpad itself as SpywareDr mentioned.

Also I've tried doing that LiveCd thing and I couldn't access the BIOS for some reason (my laptop doesn't have boot menu key)
If F1 doesn't work for you , you may need to press Enter repeatedly at the startup of the machine to interrupt the boot sequence and then press F12 to get to the BIOS menu or the bootable options where you can manually choose what drive to use.

kyeonwoo23

View attachment 287467

The button numbered 3 in this picture... this is what i meant by physical button as you can do a right click with the touchpad itself as SpywareDr mentioned.

If F1 doesn't work for you , you may need to press Enter repeatedly at the startup of the machine to interrupt the boot sequence and then press F12 to get to the BIOS menu or the bootable options where you can manually choose what drive to use.
That is the button which doesn't work

Couriant

James
OK. Then have you tried doing the double tap on the bottom right of the actual touchpad to confirm it works?

As to the button itself, try to get to the Linux LiveCD by getting to the boot menu as mentioned (Pressing enter at startup) and see if that helps.

kyeonwoo23

OK. Then have you tried doing the double tap on the bottom right of the actual touchpad to confirm it works?

As to the button itself, try to get to the Linux LiveCD by getting to the boot menu as mentioned (Pressing enter at startup) and see if that helps.
Still does not work. And I can't access the BIOS no matter what I try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online