1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right click start menu -> Explore, properties?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by truebluexxx, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. truebluexxx

truebluexxx Thread Starter

When I right click the start menu I get a list of options, one of which is Explore, how do I change the properties of this? Right clicking it has the same effect as left clicking it.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It would be extremely difficult and require a great deal of adavnced registry editing to make any changes to that menu. The left-click opens the menu. Are you saying that you can't open the Start menu?

How about the Windows key?

3. truebluexxx

everything works fine ,left clicking opens the start menu fine, and right clicking opens the context menu fine, but to change the properties of links you normaly right click them and then click properties. but you can't do that with items on a context menu, So really i need to know where in the registry this start menu context menu is held.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is held in 100's of different locations. It would take a very long time to track them all down.

If you are simply having problems getting a context menu for items in the Start menu, check your Start Menu and Taskbar properties and be sure that drag-and-drop is enabled. If it is, turn it off, Apply, turn it on, Apply (toggle it).

5. truebluexxx

thought this might be it
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\explore\command

so changed the data to
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,"D:\"
    this should mean when I click on explore it opens explorer with the d drive open, but I restarted my computer and it has add no noticable affect. :-(

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Why don't you just create a shortcut, the target of which is D:\

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some items in that context menu, such as Explore or Explore All Users, are not in the registry at all. They are part of the shell and hard-coded into explorer.exe or one of its librairies. For example, at position a950e in the file shell32.dll.mui, you'll see the phrase:

E.x.p.l.o.r.e. .A.l.l. .U.s.e.r.s.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/793457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice