1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right Clicking on a file crashes XP

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by michaelmcguk, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michaelmcguk

michaelmcguk Thread Starter

Hello,

I've got the very same probem as wildrico2.
    Its very annoying, the computer is running fine until I right-click a file on the desktop or whatever and it just seizes up. The only way I get it back is to ctrl-alt-del then end 'drwatson32.exe' and it returns it back to normal, but the right-click problem still exists.

I've ran an Ad-Aware SE and its got rid of a couple of things but the problem still exists.
    Im downloading the SpyBot Search & Destroy.

Can someone please help me with this...its infruriating!

Thanks.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi michaelmcguk, Welcome to TSG!!

Even though your problem is the same we like to keep to helping one person per thread so I have split you off into your own thread.

Create a permanent folder on your hard drive for Hijackthis, like My Documents\HJT
    Click on this link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe and "Save" hijackthis to the folder you have created.

Double click on the program to run hijackthis, click "scan" then click on "Save Log".

Post a copy back here and someone will be happy to review it.

Don't make any changes until instructed to do so.

3. michaelmcguk

Thanks for the reply.

Here's my Hijack Log :

Please help.

4. crushbone

crushbone

Hello michaelmcguk and Welcome to TSG! :D

Download Ad-Aware SE from here:
    http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Install and run Ad-Aware SE. On the bottom right corner of Ad-Aware you will see an option called "Check for updates now", click on that and choose "connect". Download the updates. Next click on "Scan now" on the left side of Ad-Aware. Make sure that "Search for negligible risk entries" is crossed out and not ticked. Choose "Perform full system scan" and click "Next". After Ad-Aware scans your computer, Ad-Aware may find some bad files on your computer so make sure you tick them all and choose "Next". It will ask if you want to remove those items so just continue. After removing the items close Ad-Aware.

Download Spybot S&D from here:
    http://users.skynet.be/fa936042/spybotsd13.exe

Install and run Spybot S&D. Choose "Search for updates". Next choose "Download updates". After that, choose "Search and Destroy" and click on "Check for problems". If Spybot finds any nasties on your computer, make sure that they are ticked and choose "Fix selected problems".

Download SpywareBlaster from here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=2859&file=11&evp=61b0e8ad41924a03c37615f4682b4cef

Install and run SpywareBlaster. Click on "Updates" and then choose "Check for updates". Next choose "Protection" and at the top you will see different tabs which are Internet Explorer, Restricted sites and Mozilla/Firefox. Choose one of them at a time and at the bottom click "Protect Against Checked Items" (make sure that all of the items are checked). Tick the boxes above the items. Make sure you do this for all of the top tabs. Mozilla/Firefox you only need to do if you have the user profiles on your computer. You may now exit out of SpywareBlaster.

Download CWShredder from here:
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWSInstall.exe

Install and run CWShredder. Click on "Check for Update" and download the latest updates. Next, click on "Fix". Exit out of CWShredder.

Restart your computer and post a fresh HijackThis log back on this thread.

5. michaelmcguk

I am just after following the instructions laid out by crushbone and here's my Hijack Log :

Im really not sure how indifferent this is to my previous log.

I found 2 Ghosts on my computer after doing a search with Antiy Ghostbusters, lots and lots with Ad-Aware SE, 32 problems with Spybot and nothing with Spyblaster. CWShredder found no more 'cool www search' material.

Just to confirm, I did do the first Hijack search after installing and running both Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D, if thats any useful to you.

Please help a poor guy out :)

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Your problem is not a security problem, it is an operating system problem. One of your shell extensions is likely the culprit. Shell extensions are those extra items added to your context menus by programs like Norton, Winzip and others. When you right click, your file extensions load. If they are either poorly written or there is file corruption this can cause a crash.

What do you have there?
    I have uploaded a zip file containing a vbs to have a quick look at a particular registry key.
    Click here to download it:
    http://forums.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48147

Extract the vbs to its own folder.

Then double click on track context menu.vbs

It will get some registry entries and open a file named report.txt
    Copy and paste the contents of report.txt here please.

Note: If you get a warning fom your Anti Virus about a malicious script, please ignore it. Script Blocking calls all scripts malicious. This is not.

7. michaelmcguk

I really appreciate the help from you Mosaic1, if you can solve this problem, I'll be in your debt.

Thanks.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I'll see what we can do here. These entries can load from more than one registry location. The next step is to make a list of what programs these belong to. And if any of those programs is no longer being used, then uninstall that program. See if the problem is resolved.

GhostBusters,WinRar and Norton are the non Windows Shell extensions I see.

Are you still using all these?

9. michaelmcguk

Yes.
    I use 'Ghostbusters' for searching for ghosts.
    WinRar for unzipping things.
    And I've only just recently installed Norton(when the problem exisited already).

So should I just uninstall both Ghostbusters and WinRar ?

How do I make a list of what programs these belong to?

Sorry if I come across as a little compulter-illeterate.

See 'Briefcase Menu', 'Open With', 'Open with Encryption', 'Offline Files', 'Start Menu Pin' - they appear in this list, how should I correct these?

Many thanks.

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Let's do this. You can uninstall WinRar and see if it helps. Doing these one at a time is best. You can resintall it if this isn't the answer.

Then you would go to the next possibilty and that would be Ghostbusters. Same thing.

This assumes you can reinstall. If not, we can see about disabling them from loading. We would need to trace all load points for your context menus in the registry to do that.

There is an alternative to an uninstall. Often, programs have the choice included whether or not to use the Menu extension.(Show on the context menu) Have a look in those two programs to see if they do. If so, disable that feature. Log off and back onto Windows. See if your problem is gone.

11. michaelmcguk

Mosaic 1,

IT'S WORKING!!! WOO-HOO!

Thanks so much for your time and patience, I uninstalled both of them and the problem is away, the right-click is now working , and Im a happy man!

Thanks again,

Michael.
    http://www.michaelmcg.co.uk

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Michael,
    You're welcome. Reinstall if you like these programs. Do it one at a time and see if the new files behave better. If not, then you at least know the culprit.

Mo

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!