1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Right USB drivers for APC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geercom, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geercom

Geercom Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion XE736 computer. I have windows 98se. I have an APC Back-UPS ES Series Battery Backup 500VA that I connected by USB for the software.

APC says they are not the ones to provide the correct USB drivers. I can't get any support out of Microsoft or HP for it and I have no idea who needs to supply what USB drivers for this anyway. I just know I don't have them and can't yet seem to get them.

They are not on the Windows 98se CD, the only OS CD I have, I looked and the add hardware wizard can't find them either. I have searched this site and asked at message boards.

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

3. rugrat

rugrat

4. Ray Davis

Ray Davis

I have a similar problem, with the same APC unit. Tech Supp spent a fair amount of time trouble shooting, to no avail.

My computer can't find the APC unit; device manager shows a yellow box, & no driver. The necessary driver seems to be on the system (hidusb.sys & hidclass.sys). Updating the new driver takes me to the Win98 2nd edition CD, but it can't find it and I'm stuck there.

Ideas? Thanks.

RD

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Windows 98 has drivers for it, and the APC should come with some software as well.

When you plugged it in did it find a new device? In device manager is there any devices with errors? Any unknown devices? Does it list a USB controller? or do you have any other usb devices?

6. Ray Davis

Ray Davis

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I know I have drivers in Win98. Hidusb.sys, hidclass.sys, & hiddev.inf are all files on my system. Device manager lists USB Human Interface Device under Human Interface Devices, but marks it with a yellow box.

I got that by having windows update my drivers... but the process requires going to Win98 CD, which can't find it. It came up with the above when I told it to skip that step.

So I'm not sure what steps to take to have the program find the drivers.

When I run the APC software, it aborts saying, 'Can't find APC device'.

Ideas?

RD

7. Ray Davis

Ray Davis

I do have other USB devices, and they're fine.

RD

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    are you pointing it to D:\win98 on the cd? What is the exact error on the device with the error. double click on it, does it say code 10? With 98 make sure the o/s and cd are the same version - if you have SE installed make sure it says second edition on the cd - so many people have this issue and it messes up their susytem

9. Ray Davis

Ray Davis

Thanks for the reply.

All searches for drivers on on C:\windows, or CD drive using Windows98 2nd edition CD.

Via device manager for the device, using the 'search' wizard for
    better drivers than HIDDEV.INF, wizard says will continue with current driver, "USB Human Interface Driver". Microsoft 4/99. But there is still the yellow box on the device, and the APC software won't find the device.

When I have the wizard display a list of all drivers, & select the HID, it says it will install it, and to insert the Win98 2nd edition CD. When done, the wizard stalls -- when OK clicked, it just blinks. So must cancell out. Same problem.

RD

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice