1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

right when i need it

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by trevor1, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

hey i have red hat 8 on my computer, i want xp, so i was going get rid of lilo using the command for the mbr that was in lynches sig, not anymore...so what is that command, and when i get the bootloader removied i am going to use the xp boot disk to reformat the linux drive, whil this work?

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

To get rid of lilo you use (from the wincd) fdisk /mbr. The best way to get rid of linux though is to get rid of it's partitions using it's native fdisk.

3. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

how do i make windows 98 bootdisks in redhat?

4. dago

dago

5. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

i can find the boot i just need to know how to wite them linux

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

why not keep linux and try a dual boot?

7. lynch

lynch

Delete the Linux partitions with the Linux fdisk or cfdisk and then run the repair console from the xp CD and do fixmbr.
    I deleted that link in my signature because I wanted to link to somthing better and also that Q is seen on this forum all the time. Let someone else answer it. ;)
    lynch

8. saikee

saikee

trevor1,

There is a little bit of confusion in here. Windows has its own bootloader and so has Linux. Each doesn't do a bootloader for the other. While you need to twist the arm of Windows to boot another operating system Linux by default will boot every operating system it can find in your computer and natually WIndow is included automatically.

Regarding your first question many Linux users use the dd command to wipe the MBR. Have a look a this thread

for windows/dos use the old code

fdisk /mbr from a DOS floppy or maybe just FIXMBR in the winxp recovery console.

for linux, just

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

This approach will render your hard disk unbootable and useless after the bootloader has been removed.

You are far better just using XP's installation disk, delete the Linux partition if you so desire, to install XP which will automatically overwrite the MBR with its own NT bootloader.

In general you can keep as many Windows and Linux in your computer. All you need to know is where their bootloaders are, how to generate them and which one you want it to be the boot manager in the MBR to control the the rest of the operating systems.

The only reason you need to destroy an installed Window or a Linux is likely because you have given too much space for it. My XP is about 15Gb and all my Linux distros are accommodated in either 5 or 10 Gb partitions. Unlike Windows an installed Linux distros can be moved around from hard disk to hard disk and should rarely have a need for a re-installation.

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yah like saikee and i say, why not just keep linux and add windows, it is easily done.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice