Righting the Router?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Looker1010

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200315001223.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (656 GB Free); E: 930 GB (555 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8H61-M LX, ver Rev x.0x, s/n MT7017K06706614
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up a Netgear R6300 v2 Smart Wifi Router to plug into my Arris TM1602 Cable modem, because the latter has no wifi and is limited to one IP address at a time.

Unfortunately, with this model router having come out four years ago, neither Amazon nor Newegg had a new one; only refurbished. It turns out the one I got was supplied to its previous owner by Charter (Spectrum), and its firmware is tailored to them, meaning I cannot upgrade it through Netgear, and Charter will not help, they only scream at the top of their lungs, "You have to go to Netgear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Now, a Netgear tech support agent who helped me get to the root of that, told me that he is sure that despite the firmware being outdated, it does not pose a security risk. So I decided to keep the router and use it as is.

All this being said-- I've heard that there is a way to re-genericize the firmware so that it can be upgraded again.

So I've come here to ask:
1) Is this true?
2) If yes, does anyone here know how to do it?

I think it had something to do with "DD-WRT," which I'm not familiar with.

crjdriver

I am wondering, why not just purchase a new router rather than a four yr old refurbished router? To me, that makes no sense. Routers wear out just like most other parts AND old routers can be a security problem.

To answer your question, yes you can flash the router with open source firmware IF your router is listed on the support page for that firmware.
Just checked the DD-WRT database and yes your router is supported.
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/
I have not used a netgear router is a LONG time however most normal routers would be updated via a browser logged into the router. You would have to do a manual update. Here is a pic of my router with the manual update circled in red. After you download the firmware, you would point the browser at where you saved the firmware and tell it to update. Again READ ALL of the instructions and be sure you know what you are doing. There is a very real chance of bricking a router from a bad firmware flash. Most modern routers are dual boot in that there are two partitions on the router so you can boot the backup if there is a problem with the primary.
With a linksys type router, you cycle the pw switch five times and the backup partition would boot. Again I have no idea IF your router has a backup partition OR how to make it boot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Looker1010

As to why I got a four year old router-- I didn't know it was that old until I started investigating the firmware issue. Completely new hardware is simply out of my price range; for me, it's get old stuff or do without altogether.

I'll read the stuff you linked before making a final decision on whether to try it or not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online