1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RIP on Windows Media Player (Moved from Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Ladytaxiracer, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ladytaxiracer

Ladytaxiracer Thread Starter

I just purchased a new/refurbished computer with Windows 10Pro. I have a CD with all the music from my old computer on it. I put it in the player and went to Windows Media Player. I found it and started making a playlist from it. Had forgotten you have to RIP the contents...and immediately started a play list. Will call this CD CDA...I saved the play list, then took the CD out, and put a clean CD (CDB) into the player. When I looked up...the playlist disappeared and all the contents of CDA was also gone. Looking at the screen I remembered about the RIPPING...so I took out CDB, and put in another CD of music (CDC). It came up in the Media Player, and I hit Rip, and it ripped all the music into my computer. I took CDC out, and put in CDA and found it on the player, but the RIP button was not showing. What can I do? Can not figure out why when CDA is in the player, there is no way to RIP it. Any suggestions or have I confused you too much...I know I am confused. Been a long time since I had a new computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    It depends on how the songs are on CDA. Ripping is used to get songs from an Audio CD, like you get from the store.

Is it possible the the music on CDA are not Audio CD files, but MP3/WMA files? If so, then you need to use File Explorer to copy them into a folder on your computer (ideally the Music Folder)

3. Ladytaxiracer

Forgive me...I am not real tech saavy...I have never copied a CD to a file before...always ripped them. It has been 7 years since I owned a new computer, so I have forgotten how to do things. I googled it, and the only thing I could find other than ripping, was saving to a file using Windows Shell...have no idea what Windows Shell is......Is there another way?

4. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    With the CDA in, go to File Explorer and check the CD drive to see what the contents show.

5. Ladytaxiracer

It showed all the files....I made a folder on my desktop and copied each song into the file...But when I took the CD out and hit play I had to click on the artist, then click another, and then the song came up. I clicked on it, and it asked what I wanted to listen to the song with...I chose the Media Player. It played, but no way to make a play list out of the song, and can only listen to one at a time. When I clicked on another song, a window came up saying My Music...have never seen that before. It had several of the songs I ripped last night from other CDs as it played the song...Now I am totally confused, but glad I have the songs on my computer now. But how do I get those songs onto the Media Player so I can make a playlist?

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    can you take a screenshot of the files in File Explorer?

7. Ladytaxiracer

Here is the screenshot.

Attached Files:

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  9. Ladytaxiracer

Thank you

10. Ladytaxiracer

Tried it with CDA...would not even recognize the CD...BUT...I found some of the CD's I made with songs I wanted from that CD, and the RIP program you sent a link to worked GREAT! So much faster than Windows Media Player....WOW! Thank you....I used to have one of those programs 2 computers ago..LOL, but had forgotten the name of it...This one works fine...a little more complicated than the one I had, but does SO MUCH MORE than the former one. Again...Thank you for your help!

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    That suggestion was the first I tried from my Best Freeware Suggestions ....
    It seemed to work (more intuitive) ... Better than Windows.
    Others are listed Here

12. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    I meant a screen shot of the CDA... but if it looks like that, then those are probably WMA files, so you would need to import them into Windows Media Player then make a playlist.

13. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    From the image, that is not an "Audio CD". It is simply a CD which contains music files (likely mp3 or wma) as noted above. Open the disc in Windows Explorer and copy all of the folders/files to the Music folder. After all of the files are in the music folder, it should work as you expect.

You only need to RIP store bought audio discs. And the RIPping process converts the files to wma or mp3 files (whichever format that you choose). You can NOT RIP a CD full of mp3 files.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice