1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ripped Off ??

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dreamer2009, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreamer2009

dreamer2009 Thread Starter

yesterday I had an awful experience. I run Firefox on Windows8. was updating Adobe Reader and all the security I have started doing pop ups for Trojans and such. My security is Kaspersky Pure 3.0. I called the co. tech to ask them what was going on. told him what I was doing. this man told me that my computer was being breached for identity theft. he had access to my comp. at that point. shows me where all the red and gold warnings and errors are showing somewhere inside comp. tells me he will try to fix things. ends up whle he is doing what he is doing he is telling me that I could go buy a new comp. and cell phone and it won't help as everything will show in them. then he tells me that he can't fix and will need a special tech. BUT not at comp. store. cost for repairs $299.00 / 1-time service... STUPID ME gives him my CC # to have fixed. WHY ? I sell on ebay and deal with Paypal and online bill paying. Can't afford bad things to happen and I was scared by what he was telling me about identity theft. eventually he is going to transfer me to special tech guy to fix my comp. BUT he tells me about the fact that I will need a special contract to handle the issue from now on $598.00 for 3-years. OK BELLS are going offf in my head now. he gets tech to fix online and and I told him to STOP everything. I wanted to call comp. co. first. no can do as they had already started. no they hadn't.
    ok so I know I have been ripped off.
    Will call Kaspersky corp. tomorrow and ask if scare tactics are part of their game.
    what I need to know from you all here.
    is it true that they are the only people who could have fixed my comp.
    or could the comp. store have done it ?
    I am such an idiot.
    Patricia
    Thank you

I don't even know how to find out if anyone responds to this.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You definitely were a victim of a very common scam where a fake tech support person gets you to try their "company tech" and they show you a bunch of "errors" or "malware" "trojans" etc etc....and then for whatever amount, they will try to frix things....all they fix is their bank balance! And any real tech place could have fixed the computer in almost all cases....just some scanning by legitimate malware detection tools and some know-how should take care of it. Sometimes, the malware scans like we have users do here at our site find a lot of toolbars, popup adwares, trojans, or other unwanted apps...

Most definitely NOT Kaspersky- here is an article on this scamware>>>> https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/

3. dreamer2009

ok so how did I get them by calling Kaspersky's phone #
    PLUS all that stuff is still on my comp. in the Event Viewer...I can see it. and more stuff is added since yesterday.

4. Byteman

Where did you get the phone number for Kaspersky?

5. dreamer2009

WENT TO bing AND TYPED CALL KASPERSKY
    AND THE # COMES UP

6. Byteman

Your search results are hijacked....this is only one way, sometimes the scammers call you, like if you have a land line that is not unlisted..they just cold call people.

7. Byteman

I have the real US phone number for Kaspersky....would you please tell me what number you rang?

8. dreamer2009

1-866-866-2001
    just spoke with CC co. they aren't going to help.

9. dreamer2009

could you share the actual number for Kaspersky.

10. Byteman

500 Unicorn Park, 3rd Floor
    Woburn, MA 01801
    USA
    Telephone:
    Toll Free
    866-328-5700
    Kaspersky Lab
    Tel: (781) 503-1800
    Fax: (781) 503-1818

11. dreamer2009

Thank you
    should I be CONCERNED that these people in India have and can use my CC info as well as my identity ?

12. Byteman

Yes I would be changing PINS and get a new card with a different security code and last 4 digits from ALL bank accounts

You never know.

13. Byteman

Have you seen any alerts or anything about anything threatening to LOCK your computer....or encrypt your FILES?

And isn't your Kaspersky security program finding anything at all? See anything that says Cryptowall......CTB-Locker......?

14. dreamer2009

ok have stopped all but 2 cards.
    they are closed.
    will call in AM
    kept debit open til can get cash out of bank
    first thing in morning. they will close and reissue.
    what a mess.
    no threats so far. but had the CC co. block their payment.
    want it to go to dispute.
    will call Kaspersky 1st thing in AM.

15. dreamer2009

those Kaspersky phone numbers won't go thru.
    they keep asking me for a 4 digit extension number. I don;t have one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice