Ripping DVDs to view on large screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MPeg3

I am copying some old home videos to DVDs. I am first playing them through a VCR/DVD recorder which creates a DVD, but I want to edit them, so am then having to convert them to a format that iMovie can use. Can you tell me the best format to use when my final goal is to be able to view them on a large screen TV? I'm planning to use Tipard Video Converter which looks like it can convert to just about any format, but also have BDlot Video Converter and AVS Video Converter, if one of those would be better.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Peg:confused:

leroys1000

Banned
Probably want to go with mpeg2.
It is compatable with most standard DVD players.

First off the source your starting off with is very low resolution and no matter what you do it will never look good on a large screen no matter what you do to it. It's best to import the DVDs as MPEG2 since that is the video native format of DVD. Importing it as anything else will require converting the video which will lead to encoding artifacts.

Oddba11

Jim
It's My Birthday!
I agree. Best to NOT change formats. Each time the format changes, you lose quality.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online