Ripping in WMP10 causes crashes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dud

Hello.. having had a good look through previous posts I can't find a similar problem so here's hoping... :confused:

On a pc running xp pro sp2 with 2800+ athlon and 512 ddr333 ram, the system will crash everytime a cd is ripped. It doesn't do it straight away.. sometimes it's after 2 or 3 tracks, other times it will almost finish, but it does crash every time. By crash I mean the screen just freezes completely and is totally unresponsive to anything except a reset button reboot.
Also, it happens whether or not anything else is running in the background.

It's not my pc so it's difficult to know the full service history, and I'm not a frequent user of WMP either so it's a bit of a grey area to me.. but has anyone encountered a problem like this before and found a solution.

Is there anything I can check or update to cure it?

Hopefully this isn't too vague but please let me know if there's any other info I can provide to assist.

Thanks as always.
:cool:

Couriant

James
well i would try another program to see if it reoccurs. CDEx is a decent ripper.

dud

Thanks for the response..

I was aware of cdex and have used it myself in the past. I have to admit I didn't consider trying it this time as I was blinkered to solving the wmp problem in itself... but at your suggestion decided to d/l it and see... well guess what? (n) Yep, same problem. Got up to track 5 of 11 and froze.

Further info: this problem occurs whether using the dvd drive (slave) or the cdrw drive (master), both of which are on the secondary ide and both set as ultra dma mode2..

What next?? :eek:

Cheers

Couriant

James
Damaged disc could be possible, protection.... I think it would have failed at the beginning.

Interesting... When did this start to happen?

dud

Thanks all for the responses... but just to let you know it's been solved now.

I had to reduce the FSB to underclock the cpu and that cured it.. ripped 5 cd's in a row with no problem.

Thanks again

Couriant

James
That's... odd. Unless you did overclock your CPU to begin with it shouldn't have cause this issue... :) Thanks for the heads up (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!