1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Risk of Using Anti-Spyware

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by adf, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adf

adf Thread Starter

TSG:
    I'm Running:
    - OEM Windows XP Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 1 (all critical updates)
    - AMD Athlon P2100+ processor (1.73 GHz)
    - NForce K7N2G version 1.2 ATX motherboard
    - MSI CR52-A2, 52x24x52 CD-RW (ATAPI) with Nero-Burning bundled
    - MSI 16x DVD-ROM (ATAPI)
    - STOMP Backup MyPc 4.85
    - Norton Antivirus 2003
    - Zone Alarm Software Firewall

I downloaded SpyBot Search and Destroy anti-spyware, but I'm afraid to launch it!!

The SpyBot disclaimers state that all kinds of programs could be rendered inoperable if SpyBot deletes bundled files that are infected!

The SpyBot system-check showed a fair, but not huge number of infected programs; only one rated "high-risk", and all others rated medium to low-risk.

Question 1: If I encounter a problem using SpyBot, and I use the Spybot "undo" feature, will that be enough to return my computer to its' former state?

Question 2: If "undo" doesn't work, will System Restore return my computer to its' former state?

I understand that I am solely responsible for any actions I take, but I would appreciate your professional advice. THANKS!!

adf

2. Big-K

Big-K

Creating a system restore should help. What is the high risk one, and what are the mid risk ones?

Be sure to use adaware too. And use them on a regular bassis

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, some programs will stop working. Howver this is a good thing, there are no quality programs using spyware. Kazaa is an example of a program that will most likely stop working, but considering all teh problems kazaa has and all the alternatives its not a big problem.

Run Spybot, I would also recommend Adaware which is similar, and fix all problems it finds. You'll be a hundred times better off. The stuff it removes are all malicous items as bad if not worse then viruses.

Spybot and Adaware both have Backup and Recovery options if you ever feel the need to restore something.

Both Adaware and Spybot are highly recommended here and used widely.

4. PhilipL42

PhilipL42

I recently installed SpyBot in a similar environment. It found a LOT of spyware on my system. I cleaned it all. No problems occured with any of my applications.

5. adf

adf Thread Starter

PhilipL42:

Thanks for the information.

I went ahead and launched the SpyBot, and the results were great!

Again, thanks for the reassurance!

adf

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice