1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RJ11 to RJ 45

Discussion in 'Networking' started by charlieyn3, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlieyn3

charlieyn3 Thread Starter

i bought a ptel2 surge protector with a a rj 11 and would love to convert the rj 11 to rj 45 so i can use it on my pc , wat are the colour combinations and which pins du i connect

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You're better off just buying a surge protector with the RJ45 ports. Not sure if I have seen a surge protector with one though.

3. charlieyn3

charlieyn3 Thread Starter

how can i connect two houses 60 metres apart with a cat 5 cable

4. zx10guy

You'll need to dig a trench and put down conduit to run the cable. Also, I would look into getting environment grade/shielded category cabling. If I was going through this expense, I would pull at a minimum Cat 6 and maybe even Cat6a. Plus I wouldn't just pull one, I would do at a minimum 2 cables maybe 4. The majority of the cost is going to be the labor to do this. The cabling is only going to be a fraction of the labor costs.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If going to that much trouble, I would put a Cat5 to fiber optic media converter on each end, and run 60m of duplex fiber optic cable between them. Cost would be about $400 for the media converters and cable, but lightening and surge suppression would no longer be an issue.

6. zx10guy

Forgot to mention having the need to properly ground the cable.

But I'm curious about the break down of that $400 figure.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Newegg has the media converters around $125-150 each, and charlieyn3 would need two; and estimate about $150-200 for the cable. So probably more like $500 total.

8. zx10guy

Are these media converters GigE capable?

And just as a side note, not all media converters are created equal. You really need to buy from a good outfit with a good return policy. I've used all sorts of media converters in my career to include SignaMax, Transition Networks, and Canary. We tried to save money one time and bought a cheap alternative to the SignaMax. We ordered a few of them and not one of them worked.

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And for ignoring my post and closing of the other thread charlieyn3 will be enjoying a three day time out. Closing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice