1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rj45 cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alicez, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

My new Win10 laptop only has a Rj45 input. If I buy a Rj45 cable one end will probably fit into the Rj45 opening on the laptop but the other end will be too small to fit into the ethernet opening in the back of my modem/router. How would I get the Rj45 to fit my modem/router opening?
    Is there some sort of an adapter that would allow the Rj45 cable to be plugged into the back of my modem/router with the larger opening?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not understanding. My expectation is that a laptop would have an ethernet port, which would accept and expect the RJ45 ethernet connector, as do most modems and routers. Please describe or give a link to an explanation of this Rj45 input and Rj45 cable.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Alice:

You didn't describe your new Windows 10 laptop, but I'm sure it has a RJ-45 ethernet port and has a built-in wireless adapter.

If you can describe your laptop and your modem/router, Terry will be able to answer you better.

To my knowledge, most modem/routers have 4 RJ-45 ethernet ports so you can connect multiple computers with ethernet cables.

A RJ-11 port (which is almost unknown in new computers) is used with a telephone line.

upload_2016-8-3_17-27-39.png

An ethernet cable is known as a CAT5/5e or CAT6 cable.

upload_2016-8-3_17-30-33.png

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  4. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

I said in the beginning that my Lenovo - Flex 4 1470 2-in-1 14" laptop has a Rj45 port. I wanted to connect it to my ActionTech modem/router, but the plug at both ends of the modem/router cable is larger than the Rj45 port. If I bought a Rj45 cable it would fit into the Rj45 port on the laptop but the other end would be smaller that the opening on the back of my modem/router. There are ethernet ports at the back of my modem but they are all larger than the size of the Rj45 port.

I contacted Lenovo and they said I would need an "adapter" to connect the Rj45 cable to the modem/router, but I don't know what type of adapter that would be and neither did the Lenovo rep (who was difficult to understand).

This is something like it, but the opening even when pulled down is still too small for the regular ethernet plug.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht116920

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An RJ45 end is always the same size, and an Ethernet cable also uses the same size RJ45 ends. You may be looking at a phone line with an RJ11 jack; those are smaller. Your modem/router would have an phone jack for a phone line for the DSL connection as well as Ethernet jacks.

6. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

The ports at the back of my modem/router are all larger than the Rj45 port on the Lenovo. I can put an ethernet cable into one of the ports on the back of my modem, but the other end is too large for the Rj45 on the Lenovo.

I have one of the cables coming out of the modem that is connected to my Vista 17" notebook. When I remove that cable from my Vista 17" notebook it will not go into the Rj45 port on the Lenovo because it is too Large.
    What am I saying that is confusing? If I buy a Rj45 cable, it will fit the Lenovo, but it will be too Small for the ports on the back of my modem.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Can you provide the model name and model number of that Actiontec modem/router so we can confirm which one you have and what its ports look like?

Or provide a webpage link to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh I see the problem. You didn't look at the laptop closely. If you take another look at it you will see that there is a door on the Ethernet port that opens down and allows an Ethernet cable to plug into it.

See the confusing part is that you kept insisting that a world standardized connector wasn't standard, an RJ45 is always the same size and shape; always because it's a standard. That's why there are RJ9, RJ11, RJ12, RJ25, etc jacks; those are different sizes but never used for Ethernet but other applications such as phone lines.

9. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

Actiontec GT784WNV

http://www.actiontec.com/262.html

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its specs, it has 4 ethernet ports(RJ-45) and 1 DSL port.

An DSL port is shaped differently than an ethernet port and may be what you're trying to connect the CAT cable to.

upload_2016-8-3_19-25-33.png

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's nothing wrong or different with the modem/router, like I posted above the laptop/tablet has a little flip down door that the Alice just needs to push down when inserting the Ethernet cable.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What Rob said is what that link (that you gave) says and shows!

13. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

I am sorry for giving you all so much trouble. This is all so new to me and confusing.
    I did notice the Rj45 port on the Lenovo did have a little slide on it (barely noticeable) and moved it up and then I took an Ethernet cable I had and plugged it into the modem/router and then took the other end and had to push down on the plastic 'lever' and really had to 'force' it into the Rj45 port on the Lenovo. A really tight fit, but it did eventually go in. Thank goodness. (My personal thinking is the Rj45 port on the Lenovo could have been like the ports on the back of the modem/router. But that is just me.) Now I hopefully able to connect my Lenovo to my modem/router when I am home.

Thank you all for your time, advice and patience with me and my problems. It seems whenever I learn something, shortly thereafter it changes. Win 7 and now Win 10.

(And always now with the problem with the non-downloading of critical updates for Win 7 and Vista.)

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    The router you have is also wireless and so you could connect to the router using the wireless system rather than a cable

15. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

I was told that the laptop would be securer if connected by cable to the router/modemrather than connected by wireless.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice