1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RJ45 Splitter for DSL/file sharing connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 19jss58, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

I network a WinXP box with a Win98 box via a crossover cable. File sharing and dial-up Internet sharing (via Internet Connection Sharing) worked fine.

Now that I have DSL, ICS performance has been erratic if it works at all. I can still update security applications on the Win98 box, but web surfing and most importantly Microsoft's Windows update site don't connect. Had to use dial-up account to update Win98.

My Zoom ADSL X4 5651 MODEM GATEWAY ROUTER has two ports (USB and Ethernet) that allows connection to both computers. Currently, the XP box is connected to the 5651's USB port which leaves the 5651's Ethernet port to be connected to the Win98's NIC which of coarse, is already being used to connect to the WinXP box's NIC via a crossover cable. Still with me?

Anyway, I thought that I could simply use a RJ45 Splitter <http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=RJ45SPLITTER&mt=> like the gadgets one uses to split a phone line, to split the Win98's Ethernet NIC to solve the Internet access problem: male connector>Win98 NIC; female connectors: (1)crossover cable>WinXP's NIC and (2)patch cable>Zoom 5651's Ethernet port.

However, advice so far has been that that won't work because: 1)splitting network connectivity is vastly different from splitting a phone line, and 2)something about IP address assignments. Is this advice that splitting the Win98's NIC won't work, correct?

Instead, they've suggested: 1)buying a second NIC for the Win98 box, or 2)buying a dedicated Splitter box if the Zoom ADSL X4 5651 is an actual router, or 3)buying a dedicated Router if the Zoom ADSL X4 5651 is not an actual router. The issue here is that the Win98 box is old and I don't want to spend more on it than I have to.

Thanks in advance.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If your modem is actually a router as well, all you would need to do is buy a cheap switch to extend its functionality. If not then a cheap router would be the best solution. I would bet you could find either one for under $30. I once got one for $9.99 after a rebate.

3. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

So the advice that splitting the Win98's NIC won't work, is correct?

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    I wouldn't bother doing that. You can buy a router such as Linksys for about $40.00 nowadays. The router would connect to your DSL modem, and then the computers on your network would connect to the router. Since the router supports NAT, that will solve your Internet Access problem.

5. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

Just came upon this item: USB to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter <http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?id=9103&c=21&s=115>. Only around $14.

Could simply attach to free USB port on Win98 box and run patch cord to Zoom 5651.

Why wouldn't this work?

6. Rockn

Rockn

Why are you trying to make this harder than it has to be? Your router already had an built in switch to connect your additional PC's to share your internet connection. Take off ICS and just connect your two PC's to the router's LAN ports

DSL ------ Router ------ Computer1
    ------ Computer2
    ------ Computer3

7. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

Zoom 5651 has only one LAN (Ethernet) port.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Get a switch and connect it to your LAN(ethernet port) interface on the router/modem

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

THen buy a cheap switch. All kinds of them on Newegg for under $20. They have a few Zonet Switches for $15.99 with a $10 mail in rebate.

10. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

Will switch enable XP-98 file sharing like crossover allows?

11. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Yes it will. The only time you need a crossover cable (usually) is when you're not using a switch and just connecting one computer to another. You will need straight through cables for this also.

12. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

Zonet 8-Port 10/100BASE TX N-Way Switch Palm / Plastic/ Auto MDIX - ZFS3008P looks worthy.

Seems better in long run than USB to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter.

Thanks.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice