1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RJ45 TO USB B Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doogdoog, Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I bought a printer with a female USB B and the other end calls for a USB male. The question that I have is that my Netgear 5 port switch is RJ45 female. I searched around and couldn't find a USB B male to a RJ45 male plug and was wondering why? Is it possible to make one or something like this is not compatable.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not quite understanding why you want to connect your printer to your router/switch. If you want a network printer, then you need to purchase one with a network ie rj45 jack.

3. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply and I thought that they did away with the RJ45 printer because the last two printers came with the USB B connection. I had an HP that came with an RJ45 but the last HP that I bought came with a USB B port. Is there any way that I could make a USB B male plug to a RJ45 male plug or get some type of adapter?

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Cheap printers designed for home use only have just a usb. More expensive printers OR printers designed to be used in a business environment, have a network jack. I use an epson all-in-one as a network printer shared with 2 linux systems and 4 windows systems. It works very well on the network.

5. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

So your Epson printer has a RJ45 port? I just bought a Cannon D530 laser printer and that monkey came with a USB B port. I just wasn't thinking and didn't do a good check as to what kind of port it had. Well I am going to get a USB B cable with a male plug and a USB male plug on the other side. I will try to get a USB female to RJ45 adapter and see if that works. My only concern is that it doesn't fry something.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it has a rj45 port. I highly doubt that you will get usb to rj45 cable to work even if you make it yourself. The voltage standards are very different; rj45 can go up to 48V DC while the usb is 5V DC. Here is a link to a rj45 wiring diagram and voltage specs;
    http://pinoutsguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

7. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and link. Yes, it looks like the voltages are way off and there will probably be some smoke. I guess I will not chance it since I don't have a schematic that I can look at. Well back to the drawing board and thanks again for all the help.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Many Routers have a USB port for this type of use as well as the RJ45 Network ports.
    All the ones I've ever had did.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't just can't a USB cable one one end and Ethernet on the other end; they are completely different technologies. You need electronics. What you should have bought is a network capable printer, they are very common especially wireless ones; Walmart carries wireless printers for under $50. If you want to keep you printer that you have then either connect it via USB to the computer, check to see if your router has a USB port for a printer as most good quality ones these days do, or buy a USB printer server that will connect yoru USB printer to your router via Ethernet or wireless.

10. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies Dave and Triple6 and I guess my way out now is to get a router with USB since my old router only has rj45. Thanks again guys.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Be sure that it supported printers, not all routers that have USB support printers, some only support USB storage devices.

Unless there's a need for the printer to be networked, USB is the way to go for a single computer if it's close to the printer. Networking adds complexity and many areas of possible faults.

12. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6, I should have asked some questions on this site before I bought the Cannon printer with the USB B port. Thanks again.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I can attest to the fact that network printers can be a challenge. Right now I have two win 10 machines, one win 7 machine and two linux systems using a network printer. Win 10 was simple, win7 not too hard however the two linux systems were somewhat of a learning experience to get working. With just about anything, once you understand how to do it, the job is pretty simple however it did take a while to learn how with linux.

14. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

crjdriver,
    Yes, I know what you mean by learning experience and everyday is a learning experience for me. LOL and thanks for the help.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

15. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Probably stating the obvious, but have you considerd a print server? Here they go on ebay for about a tenner, and work admirably. I have an A0 plotter connected through one (old but still works) and have ordered another for my 3D printer.

Responding to CRJs post#2, my reason for using networked printers is space. My main rig is in one room, the 3D and plotter are in others. I have a wired network running through the house, and it makes sense to use it. We all have different setups- to me it was an obvious answer, but only because its close to what I use. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice