1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Road Runner Bandwidth Test Question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by doogdoog, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    Recently Road Runner increased the download from 3mbps to 5 and I have two computers using a Linksys router. One computer is a 800mhz clone and the other is a 3Ghz clone. I made a test with the 800mhz computer and it came up with 501kbps so I thought that maybe Zone Alarm was causing this, so I disabled it. The same thing happened again so I ran it directly to the modem and reran the test. The same thing happened again so I tested the 3ghz computer and it came up with 4.5mbps. What would cause this large difference in the 800mhz computer and is this normal and if not, what is the fix. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Which Windows operating system is in these computers?

Are you familar with Cablenut 4.08 and have you made use of it?

Go to this site and scroll to the bottom where it says "Internet Connection Tweaking". Select the link for the Windows operating system that you're using, then follow the directions.

3. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha Flavallee,
    Thanks for the help and I am running Win98se. My other computer is using XP sp2 as the os and I can't see why the download speed is so different. I went to that link and it seems like a good thing but will that do the trick? Would I be able to go back to the original setting that I have now? I tried using their tweak for win 98se but it didn't help. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Which tweak did not work?

Before you run a speed test, make sure to click Tools - Internet Options - Delete Files - OK. This clears the cache before running the speed test.

5. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha flavallee,
    Thanks for the reply but I should say that the tweaking that I did did not make much of a difference (Virtual memory settings, conservative sway file usage, inter-networking). I need it to be in the Mbgps range (now 565 kbps) and roadrunner upgraded to 5mbps. It must be the settings in my 800mhz win98se computer because my 3ghz xp sp2 does the download (roadrunner bandwith test site www.discoversandiego.com\speed) in about 4.5mbps. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Keep virtual memory set to where Windows manages it, and get rid of the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 command. It's old information and not valid. (n)

I'm using Roadrunner cable on both my 98SE and XP SP2 computers, and my download speed averages 4500 - 4600. Of course, I'm using Cablenut 4.08 and several registry tweaks (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is the test results I just received:

2005-02-05 07:07:50 EST: 4494 /359
    Your download speed : 4602186 bps, or 4494 kbps.
    A 561.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 368007 bps, or 359 kbps. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice