1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Road Runner Junk

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Deke40, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

When the RR technician came out he ran the software for the modem and then told me I could save money by running the activation cd myself, which I did. It installed IE6, which has been alright, but it installed a folder called Broadjump(20MB) and a Roadrunner folder(10MB). Also one called Support.com (16MB). Under Add\Remove I have one called "Broadjump Client Foundation" and another called "Broadjump Correct Connect Engine". Also there is a Bonus Pack that I suspect is from RR also.

My question is do I need all this baggage. I found some info on the Broadjump and Support.com that it is being used a lot by big business for easy installation of various software. I ask this question elsewhere and was told to get rid of all of it with out much in the way of an explanation. I don't want to have to redo everything if it fouls up my present connection.

2. Del

Del

Lots of ISP's use BroadJump, it's an installation wizard. Most of the techs I know, by pass it and just install what needs to be installed. Don't see any reason you would not be able to uninstall it, but have you asked RR??

3. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Del-I didn't call RR because I figured they would give me a line of bs. Guess what? The tech said nuke it. Thanks for the push I needed to get rid of it. Gained about 70MB of space.

4. Del

Del

I think most techs are like me and rather not have all the bells and whistles. Keep it simple.
    Have a great one.

5. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

I got rid of everything and decided to remove the entries in the Start Up in msconfig. I found all them except Medic. I looked in the following registry location to no avail:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-
    and delete the entres in the right pane.

I looked in all the other run and run once places and still can't find that particular one. Any ideas.

6. Del

Del

If I'm not mistaken, Medic is a software that fixes many network and email issues for you. Might leave it for now and see if it is affecting you that much.

7. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

It was uninstalled with all the other stuff. I just have the entry in the Msconfig\Startup that I would like to get rid of.

8. Del

Del

Have you tried cleanup button in msconfig on the startup tab?

9. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Del-I didn't see the button you were talking about. I found it in Start\Programs\Disabled Startup Items and right clicked and deleted it. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Del

Del

Just so you got rid of the beast..
    Have a great night.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice