1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RoadRunner Highspeed Internet

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Hyphen, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hyphen

Hyphen Thread Starter

Recently my grandparents got a RR connection installed with a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem, and everything was going well. I had to completely reformat the computer, which meant I needed to reinstall the RR software, and I did, and now I download only at about 80 kb/s, when before I was getting 300 kb/s. Does anyone know what I might have did wrong, or still need to do?

2. Michael_C

Michael_C

First thing I suggest:

Remove ALL of the roadrunner software.(n)
    Go to the store. Buy Norton Antivirus.

As for the connection issues, have you tried reooting all network equipment in your house? (routers, cable modem). is there another computer hooked up to the internet as well?

Do you have all of the windows update security patches installed. If not you may have been infected with an old virus (such as blaster worm)

Do you have a router in between the modem and your PC? if so, try connecting directly to your modem.

Lastly, did you try an alternate site to download files from? your connection speed is determinate on thier bandtwidth.

3. bkdc

bkdc

If evertyhing was going well; WHY, did you have to reformatt :confused:

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i've had rr for years and wasn't aware of any software to install.

a little info about the system helps in the response.:cool:

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You are the first person I have seen say go out and buy Anti virus. What is wrong with the two completely free AntiViruses out there that everyone uses.

Hyphen - Are you sure you have the correct drivers installed for the Network Card? Have you done speed tests at DSL Reports or Pc Pit Stop. If not, do that and report the results back here.

6. Hyphen

Hyphen Thread Starter

I meant with the connection, not with the computer...

7. Michael_C

Michael_C

Simple. You get what you pay for. Free Antivirus is.. well, Free.

It is not near as helpful as a paid copy. Working as a computer tech in south milwaukee, 90% of our customers had either AOL or RR, both owned by the same parent company. if the user was having internet connectivity, virus issues or severe software issues, 90
    5 of the time it was the antivirus that was coming with the service.

AOL offers Free Mcafee. This cause huge software glitches in older windows 98 and ME boxes, as well as connectivity problems with windows XP.

Also. I dont recommend getting a software firewall. Also supplied as free software. 90% of the time, these are not configured correctly (default settings shouldnt be used on software firewalls for most instances) and also cause problems. One customer i had used internet security from symantec and could not get flash based plugins to load unless she uninstalled IS, which she refused to do. Just a few comments i had about it. I do not trust any free system service based software. Exceptions being Adaware and Spybot. Anything else is subject to either installing spyware, viruses or just causing more problems than they should.

Also, Squashman is right, you should check your network card drivers. And make sure it is set to 10/100 Auto.

8. Squashman

McAffee is a paid product if you want it to be! AOL just has a contract to give it out with their Service. They used to give out e-Trust for free. When I talk about free Anti-Virus, I mean AVG or Avast. Which are a hell of alot better then Norton or McAffee.

You kind of contradict yourself. You tell him to go and buy Norton Antivirus but then say Symantec Internet Security suite is bad. Norton Antivirus is in that product.

I am pretty sure everyone knows that AOL and RR are owned by the same company. AOL, TimeWarner, whatever you want to call it these days.

9. Michael_C

Michael_C

The Internet Security suite is not the same as norton Anti Virus.

IS has more extraneous software, such as the firewall I mentioned earlier.

No anti-virus is perfect, and i ahve had problems with AVG in the past.

Yes, AOL has a contract to supply users with a version of Mcafee software. By no means is it even half as good as the paid version. The free version uses about 30% more system resources than its subscription based cousin, and is definitely not as effective.

Even so, the paid version of mcafee has alot of stability problems as well. For the average user, I strongly recommend Norton Anti Virus. Not Security Suite. Unless Mcafee has revamped thier code to be more stable, I would stay away from it.

10. Squashman

If I am going to recommend someone paying for AntiVirus then I am going to recommend NOD32. I would never recommend Norton over a free version of AVG or AVAST. But that is just my opinion. Symantec Antivirus is great on the Corporate side but even then I know alot of corporations that use TrendMicro because they don't like Symantec.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice