1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Roaming IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RWerner, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RWerner

RWerner Thread Starter

Ive got a machine I recently retired, XP pro from a server 2003 domain and was wondering if someone could help me out. Before I disconnected it:
    Workstation ip was released via cmd, flushed dns, checked to make sure dhcp didnt resolve again. I disabled the nic in control panel. From the server I removed the pc from the domain. When connecting the new machine I get there is a computer on the network with the same IP address. Id like to set the same IP as before, statically because I am using the same network name.

Any help appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I infer from that quote that the old XP Pro was getting its IP dynamically. If so, then the Dhcp server will reserve that IP address until the end of the lease period or until it (the Dhcp server) is reset.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice