1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Roaming profiles

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stuarta, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuarta

stuarta Thread Starter

I'm having no end of problems with profiles at my new office. I've come in and they all seem to be setup as roaming profiles.

I've got one user in particular that is having problems with his laptop and that it can take anything up to 45mins to shut down at the end of day, assuming this is backing up the profile. This is causing problems with his Outlook PST file. If he gets impatient and shuts the machine down, it creates a large tmp file.

Now in my mind, he doesn't need a roaming profile. He only uses his laptop, he doesn't jump on any other machines. Only different thing is that he travels between 3 sites, but his profile is stored on one server.

I've actually just cleaned up his PST files from the server in an attempt for it to resync. I've logged off and restarted the machine but it's not syncing across for some reason.

What advice do yo guys have?

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Move his pst file to a location outside of the Roaming user profile settings, like My Documents.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Actually I would change the PST location for everyone. Your bound to have more and more users that have this problem if you have a growing company or if you hire more packrats.

Since you know about it being the pst file I would also forwarn him the dangers of large PST files being prone to becoming more easily corruptable and that it DOES indeed have a file size limit of its own.

4. axis77

axis77

right, the bigger the pst the longer it takes to load and save, remember about the 2 gig limit on pst's...

5. stuarta

stuarta Thread Starter

Right ok. At the moment his profile has gone complete screwy. Everytime he logged on it didn't pick up his profile on the server and insisted on using local.

I understand about the issue with large PST and think that is what first caused it. His file is about 320mb, but because it was so slow communicating with the server for some reason, he would just shut it down and therefore had a growing amount of tmp files.

I've cleared them out, tried to repair a file together. It was working yesterday but since heard that his Outlook is now failing to load. I'm going to visit tomorrow and try to sort something.

All users have their PST files in My Documents so that it replicates on the server and backs up, but think we have issues on quite a few PC's not updating on to the server.

Is there a better solution

6. cybertech

You have My Documents as part of roaming user profile? :eek:

7. cybertech

I would suggest you have the user save the contents of My Documents to a server and have the server mapped instead of uploading and downloading the entire contents of My Documents every time they log off and on.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah I would take the My Documents OFF of roaming profiles and I would instead put a redirector on it. There is one small problem PST files Don't like to be on network drives this too can corrupt them more than being on a local PC.

Remember PST files will not copy when in use and alot of times when shutting down people don't close out of outlook first.

9. cybertech

I've had my pst files on a network drive for years with no problems... unless the server goes down. ;)

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Suprising... one bad network disconnection and I can see someone crying over a PST.

Where I worked prior to this job we had about 1 a week we had to restore and EVERY time it was one kept on a network drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice