1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Roaring Penguin & PPPoE

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ross_nix, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ross_nix

ross_nix Thread Starter

hello all,

im using RH7.1 (my machine's too under powered for RH8)

well im using a local provider who uses something in Win that uses a dialer to connect to the Service.

tried Roaring Penguins pppoe client , but as one earlier post on the matter states, it shows dots and then says "REQUEST TIMED OUT" when i do adsl-start.

one thing i remember from the set up of the client in windows....the tech set up a particular MAC address / network address in the Properties of the Network adapter under the NETWORK section in Control Panel (im using Win98SE)

is there any way that would affect the dialers ability to connect to the service / is there a OS fingerprinting thing that allows the Dialer to connect thru windows and not thru RH ?

any inputs on this matter would be helpful

regards

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

ok, he didn set you mac adress, what he did was set up the companies router to allow all computers with your computers mac adres (they are unique). You need to find out if you can register you other computer's mac adresss (linux) with your isp.

3. ross_nix

ross_nix Thread Starter

thanks whiteskin. well , its a dual boot on the same machine ... is there a way to set the MAC address under *nix (must be ... ) but i'd be glad if u could tell me how...

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Does the internet work under the other OS (windows I'm assuming)? If it does, go into the network panel, and try o find out if your IP is dynamic or static. If its dynamic, then write down your ip, and use ipconfig so set the linux system to that. I'm not an expert on ipconfig, so you may have to ask around to figure it out. If you are running a dynamic ip, i'm thinking that dhcp isnt running when you boot so you'll have to set that up.

5. Roo

Roo

Changing MAC addresses and sniffing data off the wire assigning un-assigned ip addresses is quite easy.

However, boarding on illegal operations is not something I want to get into. If you have a legitimate reason email me and I will send you a tutorial on how-to.

I cannot be more fair than that.

Kind Regards
    Roo

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

ReallY? That i cant say i knew... i always though mac adresses were rassigned at the factory and from there on they were permanant. That could be put to some bad use.

7. Roo

Roo

well whiteskin, yes MAC addresses can be changed and it is not like it is emprom blown into the chip, or like flashing the bios.

There are easier ways with a little knowledge :)

Kind regards
    Roo

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice