1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Robocopy and NAS problems...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stever26, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stever26

stever26 Thread Starter

Hi all, quick question.

I have used Robocopy to back up all my photos etc. for yonks, set it so that it mirrored by files on my main laptop. I have since had the need for faster and bigger storage and so have invested in a NAS. Awesome.....BUT...

when I run my script it no longer detects that a copy of the file already exists - it thinks every file is 'newer' and so it copies everything again (not funny given it's 50Gigs!)

My script consists of several lines like this...it's very simple(!)..

robocopy "c:\Users\Steve\my pictures" "\\LS-XHLA97\backup\sr-backup\pictures" /mir /xd *.lrdata

robocopy "c:\Users\Steve\Modo" "\\LS-XHLA97\backup\sr-backup\Modo" /mir

Any ideas? Or suggestions for another way of doing this type of backup?

Many thanks
    Steve

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would first check and see if the time on the NAS is correct, that's the most common reason for this issue.

3. stever26

stever26 Thread Starter

Hi John, thank for this.

I have the time currently synched to my laptop where my original files are (there is an option on the NAS to do this) but still no joy. I did try it a minute earlier and a minute later but same result.

Only thing I did notice is that my NAS repersents the date in US format mm/dd/year as opposed to my laptop set to UK format.
    There appears to be no way of altering the date format on the NAS device however. Is it possible this is the cause?

Cheers
    Steve

4. JohnWill

It shouldn't be, that is just the display representation, the date is the same for either display format.

I don't use Robocopy, but Beyond Compare doesn't have any issues with my DNS-321 or DNS-323 NAS boxes.

5. stever26

stever26 Thread Starter

Thanks John,

I will have a look at Beyond Compare - just found it on the web, looks like there is a trial version so I can give it a shot.

Thanks again
    Steve

6. JohnWill

I've had excellent luck with it, I've been using it for years. I bought it in the 1.x version and have upgraded each time. Great tool. :)

7. stever26

stever26 Thread Starter

:) just about to test it out - have installed it - I like the way you can choose which way to sync (left or right) or merge etc. Looks the business...sure it will do the job!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice