RoboCopy Query

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DDL

I am copying files with dates in the filename (filename_20091127.txt) from one location to another. How can I drop the date from the filename when moving/having moved the files accross? The file types and filenames vary from file to file but the date format will always be '_YYYYMMDD'. Is this something that can be done with RoboCopy and if so, how? If not, with what and how? Thanks in advance.

Robocopy doesn't rename files.

Welcome to TSG!

For this, I'd use RenameMaster, and just remove the last 9 characters of the file name.

It's on the Scripting tab, about 8th item down, Remove Beginning/Ending

If this is a daily occurrence, you could write a batch file to remove the date after all the files are copied. Not too hard to just remove the last 9 characteers in a name.
If you need to check for resulting duplicates or confirm it's actually an underscore followed by a date it would get more complex.

Code:
Setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
Set _Folder=C:\Location of Files
PushD %_Folder%
For /F "Tokens=* Delims=" %%I In ('Dir /B "%_Folder%\*.*"') Do (
Set _Fname=%%~nI
Rename "%%I" "!_Fname:~0,-9!%%~xI"
)
PopD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online