1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ROCK-SOLID Mb/RAM Combo For Non-Gaming FX-8320 Box?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anchoret, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

I'll try to keep this short, but the title just about sums it up: I'm looking for a very stable, no hassle, no crashing, no lockup 970 (?) setup for a DAW and a little video editing, based on a FX-8320 running Win7. NO GAMING, so this makes a lot of the usual considerations moot. Likewise, onboard audio and video. Sound will be handled by an outboard Lexicon interface and I'll use a dual-monitor video card I already have.

I've been reading everything I can for the past week, and if Newegg's vast trove of user reviews are to be trusted, I have about a 50% chance of major, hair-pulling problems, mysteries and DOAs, irrespective of MB brand, model or price. These are often attributed (correctly or not) to RAM incompatibilities -- and there aren't any current or useful RAM compatibility lists on the motherboard webpages. It's apparently just trial and error, which gets expensive and exasperating.

So, I'm looking for any tested recommendations that work for you.

All the MB features I really need are some external USB2/3 sockets on the board and maybe heatsinked VRMs as I may do some modest overclocking if it doesn't sacrifice reliability -- but reliability is what I'm after.

There only seems to be about a half-dozen or so readily-available MBs in this general category, and I'm sure they're familiar ones to you all.

I generally have good luck with my builds as I approach them extremely carefully. It's sort of unsettling to see all these user horror stories.

I've bought everything else new from the ground up on this project and I don't think they really have any effect on the MB/RAM selection, so I won't make a long list here.

I'll be very grateful for some sound advice on this!

Thanks!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    One thing to remember about user reviews, People will tend to post negatives rather than positives. In many cases the failure can be due to the reviewers mistakes when ordering the components.

As far as Motherboards go, Asus and Gigabyte would be good choices. I build with Gigabyte boards for 90% of my builds based solely on price points.

3. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

Well, that's of course why I'm asking for some known good combinations of motherboards and RAM for this CPU. ;)

Yes, those user reviews are a joy and I think maybe half of the fails are blatant user error, but I also think that a lot of the "good" ones are one-line, honeymoon reviews written in the first flush of survival euphoria when the beast boots and doesn't go up in smoke -- but before it starts showing mysterious misbehaviors in prolonged use. I think if I were King of the World, I wouldn't let people do product reviews until the item had been in normal duty for ninety days.

I've seen, however, that in some of these reviews some boards have specific functional problems due to design errors or else require undocumented BIOS tweaks to work right.

[I once wasted several years trying to find the source of crashes and lockups in a system with a "good" ASUS board which eventually turned out to be due to its unacknowledged problem with the one specific "supported" CPU I used with it. Bad experience I never want to go through again! :mad: ]

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In one of them, I use crucial ram in the other [I think] it is patriot ram. Both are 1600; with the overclock, they come out at approx 1800

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice