1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

rogue radio connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by shelley, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

When my daughter closes down her dial-up connection the phone line stays open. I know this because if I pick up the house phone I can hear a web-based radio station playing away. This is very persistant and will reconnect even after I have closed down the PC and unplugged the phone line from the wall. I assume this is some software that runs in the background when she connects but how it still runs after the PC is closed down I don't know. How do I track it down and remove it? The PC runs on Win95.

2. doggard

doggard

Hi Shelly
    If the connection is still live after disconnecting the line then Id suggest its a fault at the exchange so Id call your phone company for advice before you end up with a bill you dont want.
    BTW are you on a shared line?

3. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

No. I do have my own PC which shares the same line but this never happens when I close my PC down, only when she closes hers down, which is why I've assumed it's a PC problem rather than a telecom problem. Does that make sense?

4. doggard

doggard

Is there by any chance another phone in the house which is off the hook i.e.in your daughters room perhaps.The only other thing that comes to mind is that someone else is using your phone line hence the need to speak to the telecom provider.
    Another test may be after the modem disconnects in your daughters PC,is to disconnect all phones except one connected directly to the main junction box into the house then see if the music can still be heard.You will then know if it is an internal or external problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice