1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

rogue virus "Antivirus Suite Platinum" scam

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by rubberduck, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubberduck

rubberduck Thread Starter

Suckered me, 'ats wat they did. Caught a pop-up looking like a (MS 4-color) legit alert, saying they needed to scan for malware. So I let 'em, and (o' course) they FOUND the infection!! And they'd sell me PROTECTION for $69.95. And I bought it. Then Googled 'em and went to Complaints.com to find out more, called my Credit Card company, told them that I'd dispute any charges that came up, if these folks tried to follow through. The phone guy said I'd have to wait until charges actually appeared on my statement before any action could be taken.

Soon e-mails from "[email protected]" began arriving in my inbox, thanking me for purchasing "Antivirus Suite Platinum", and advising me to link to http://members.getavproduct.net/ to download. I never followed any of their links, not even the E-mail address. I deleted the repeating e-mails after printing a copy, and hit the Block Sender key in my ISP page. A week later the charge showed up on my CredCard's website, and I duly called the card issuing company to initiate a Disputed Charge protocol

Meanwhile, the kid brought me into the fold w/Malwarebytes, and was able to rid my machine of their stuff. I'm too much of a rookie at this computer business to tell you just how the cleanup was done, but all seems to be well now. We may have done a restore to a point a couple days in advance of the intrusion----I'm not sure whether we did it, or I just thought about it.

This stuff happened in the midst of my computer rebuild, which be's new video card, new motherboard, (pause for a few days while Dell sent my) new hard drive and upgrade from Vista to Win7.

Anyway, it being that I'm scared to even link to their e-mail thingy, I wonder if anyone has a phone number through which I might be able to tell them that I'm not gonna use their product and so they should credit my CC account the $69.95 bogus, along with a cease and desist.

Whaddya think, boys 'n' girls? Anything else I should do?

Thanks. I AM rubberduck:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice