1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Roku charger??

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by LJFried, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

My brother gave me his old Roku stick - I think that's what it's called. When I plugged it in to charge up, the little light flashes twice very quickly, then stops, then flashes twice, stops, etc., etc. How do I know when it is fully charged? How do I know when the Roku is drained and needs to be re-charged? Thank you.

Considering what a VERY "low" tech guy I am, maybe this is going to be too much for me? (Still using a Palm Pilot!!)

2. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    The Roku Stick doesn't have a battery, so there's nothing to charge. It gets power from a USB connection. It should come with a USB power adapter that you can use if the TV doesn't have a USB port.

3. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

Thank you. I got this as a gift. There is some kind of "charging" wire - it has prongs which plug into an AC outlet in the wall and a mini plug which plugs into the Roku. I plugged it in (to the wall) and the little light on the Roku lit up like I described above. What is thing which I'm describing?

4. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    What do you see on the screen when you switch the TV to the HDMI port it's plugged into?

5. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

it said "no signal" - so then I plugged it into a USB port on the TV - there's a mini USB plug that goes into the Roku, then a full size USB into the TV. The Roku lit up but the TV screen says: "no device" with the USB symbol. there are also pictures which say: photo - music - movie - text. When I push the Roku remote, nothing happens. (Yes, I did put batteries in it!!)

Just to be sure....I plug the Roku into he TV, not the cable box, right? Thank you

6. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    The Roku connects to the HDMI port on your TV. There should be a setup screen displayed. Maybe it's broken.

7. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

thank you again - I have 2 HDMI ports on my TV - #1 I use for the cable box; #2 is for a DVD player. I unplugged the DVD player and plugged the Roku into #2, made sure that the "input source" on the TV was HDMI #2 but......the screen says "no signal."

I have to sign off now but thank you for your help.

8. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

Sorry to bug you again - you've been very kind -- but I just re-read your posts from yesterday. First you said "It gets power from a USB connection" but later you said "The Roku connects to the HDMI port on your TV." I'm confused.

9. RT

RT

I have a similar setup in that I have two HDMI ports on the TV, and swap out the DVD for the Roku connect as needed, just as you describe.
    My Roku connects directly to the TV via HDMI cable, but requires a WiFi signal and an active Internet to get the thing to work...if you have a "smart" TV with Internet, you may not need WiFi, but you still need to setup the Roku to access your local network.

And btw, mine is a Roku Express device, though I don't think the setup would be any different.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  10. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

RT: Thanks for your help. I'm not using an HDMI cable; I plug the HDMI "male" on the Roku into the HDMI "female" port on the back of the TV. The problem is that I get this message: "No signal." Like the TV is not recognizing that the Roku has been plugged in. I do have WiFi available; my problem is that I can't even get to the "setup"

11. RT

RT

I'm a bit confused in that it seems you say you're not using HDMI cable, but you are plugging things in the proper ports...?
    There has to be a physical wired connection ( aka, cable) between the Roku and TV, just like your DVD player.
    Maybe try HDMI port 1?

12. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

You're confused? Imagine how I feel!

Thanks again RT. No, I did not have a cable going from Roku to the TV. Are you sure that I need one? I did try HDMI #1 - same problem. "No signal."

13. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

I figured it out...it turns out that my Roku does need AC power. There's a small cube with 2 prongs to go into the wall, with a USB plug which goes into the Ruku which then goes into the HDMI. So I'm in business! Thanks again.

14. RT

RT

Glad to hear you've got things sorted!
    And thanks for saying what did work for you :)

I think the confusion might have been because your bro gave you an "old" Roku stick...mine needs no such AC power, just plug & play after seeing the WiFi.

But if you're good to go, would you mark this thread "Solved?"
    that option would be at the top of this thread.
    Cheers!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice