1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Roku streaming question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FalvinP, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FalvinP

FalvinP Thread Starter

My question concerns wifi speed for a Roku streaming Stick plus. My parents are getting 25Mbps Frontier DSL service installed next week. It’s just my parents now, so the 25Mbps speed seemed adequate for the streaming they want to do. We decided to rent a dsl modem/router for a few months to see how they like the service. The Frontier rep was vague when I asked if the wifi speed of the modem/router would be the ac standard or the old wireless n. He said that speed would be adequate for the download speed, so I assume the speed will be wireless n. However, they are buying a Roku Streaming Stick Plus to plug into their TV to allow streaming the content they want. I understand the Roku has wireless ac speed. Since the download speed is significantly less than the ac standard, should they just get the wireless n router? I’m thinking that since there is still the bottleneck of the slower internet download speed that wireless ac will not improve the streaming speed. Am I correct in my thinking?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let A be your ISP, B your router, and C any device on your LAN.

If the bandwidth (speed) from A to B is 25 Mbps then the bandwidth from A to C is no more than 25 Mbps.

Or, more simply, yes you are correct in your thinking. :)

3. FalvinP

FalvinP Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice