Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roku TV Problems

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Oddba11 
#1 ·
Hi everybody :
Apparently, there's an issue with Roku TV. Google is forcing Roku to remove its applications because of "non-compliance". They forced Roku to remove the YouTube app. They claim "it doesn't meet their standards". Now..........Google strikes again. They forced Roku to remove the Amazon Prime Video app. Google is slowly destroying Roku....one app at a time. Which, in time, would make my bedroom TV obsolete. Being my TV requires a Roku account to be "active". This puts me in a position where, now, I have to get another TV for my bedroom. One that doesn't rely on Roku. I've been pricing the LG 32" Web OS TVs. Prices aren't too bad.
garystan

#2 ·
I'm not sure what's going on with your devices, but mine have been working fine. I have two "dumb" TVs and use Roku devices on both. They have the YouTube, YouTube TV, and Amazon Prime apps installed on them and they're all working properly. I checked when the last system update went through, which was in June, and a re-check states its up-to-date (Version 10.0.0, Build 4209). In fact, when I re-checked YouTube TV, it downloaded an update for the app and it's still working properly.

#3 ·
REPLY : When this happened, I contacted Roku. And their response was, that they had to remove YouTube because the application didn't meet the standards of Google (being YouTube IS a Google product). I even checked for updates on my Roku TV, and my software was current. And, apparently, the same thing for Amazon Prime Video. Question : Are your TVs Android or LG Web OS ?

#4 ·
Question : Are your TVs Android or LG Web OS ?
Neither. As I stated: they're both "dumb" TVs, and I've attached Roku devices to both of them. I did some checking and I found this article pertaining to YouTube, so it looks more like a technical issue than a forced removal by Google.

Amazon is another issue, though. They're a separate company from Google; therefore, I don't see how the latter can make demands of Roku with respect to removing the former's app.

#5 ·
lochlomonder :
9/22/21
5:37 PM EST
I was talking to Amazon Customer Service about the situation with YouTube and Amazon Prime Video. She wasn't too clear on the situation with YouTube...........but she said Amazon Customer Service is well aware of Amazon Prime Video being deleted from Roku.
garystan

#7 ·
This may just an aside, but my Roku has declared that GooglePlay has removed all TV and movie content. OK, never used G-Play, per se, but it trashed my access to YouTube on Roku... and of course don't recall my password.

YT works fine on PC, and I'll get it all sorted, but it may be device dependent.
I was talking to Amazon Customer Service
Awesome you got to speak with a real person, or even live chat...

#8 ·
I would guess this just an issue with your TV. Most likely, the app on the TV is not current, and for whatever reason (likely hardware), it cannot be updated to meet the current requirements.

Maybe someone can confirm if those apps still function on a late model Roku device (ie: not a TV). I'm guessing they still work on the device.

#9 ·
Oddball :
I apologize for my mistake. I looked into it further. The Roku channel is okay. But, there was a "placeholder" in the middle of my homepage. I DID get the message "Channel currently unavailable". I clicked on the app. Apparently, it referred to the Slacker app. Which IS no longer available. I just deleted it. And everything is okay. My bad.......................
garystan

#10 ·
No worries. Glad you figured it out.

I will add, that the next time that you need to purchase a TV, buy based on brand preference, picture quality, size, number of inputs/type of inputs and price. Ignore any smart (or other) features. Then switch to a standalone device such as AppleTV, Roku, FireStick, etc. Standalone devices are more often updated and more likely to be useable over a longer span of time. Plus they can be moved to a new TV as needed. They do age and become obsolete over time. But overall a better experience than TV based apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.