1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Roku Won't Connect! Please Help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mgold8, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mgold8

mgold8 Thread Starter

Yesterday my Roku wouldn't connect to my Wireless network. Well to be more specific it keeps saying "Can't connect to local area network" This has been driving me crazy!

First I did what it said and put the Roku's MAC address on my Router. That didn't do anything. I called the Roku Techline, but they were amazing unhelpful after spending almost 100 minutes on the phone. They kept telling me to do the same things, which didn't work!

Can anyone tell me if there is something I need to do in my Router to get the Roku to work? It should just connect. It clearly is getting the Wireless signal, but not the LAN. I don't understand why it would need a LAN since I'm doing Wireless setup. What's going on here?

I've had this unit for a month, and it was mostly fine, but was problematic at times. Now I'm thinking I have a defective unit. I have a Westell 7500 Modem, and Netgear WGT624 Router. My Internet Provider is Verizon.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

Nothing you need to do - if the router is setup for DHCP the Roku should be supplied an IP address , perhaps the wireless is fault
    What Wireless Networks does it find for you to select from ?

do you have security enabled on the wireless router - i would first take that off and then try and get thr Roku to connect

should not need to do that

What model is it you have ?

Mine M1001 I think - connects without any special settings

3. mgold8

mgold8 Thread Starter

I Disabled the security settings and it still wouldn't connect!

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

does it see the SSID of the wireles ?
    you may have

5. mgold8

mgold8 Thread Starter

You mean the name of my Wireless Network? It does see the Network, and clearly gets a signal. It just won't connect for some stupid reason!

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

does it see any other netwroks at all ?

Do you have a laptop / desktop on the wireless - if so can you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download and install
    http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

Then run the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ----------------------

7. mgold8

mgold8 Thread Starter

The Roku does get a signal from some neighbors networks sometimes.

8. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

see if you can connect to any of those - if any unsecured (SHOULD NOT normally do this as it is stealing - BUT i think as a fault finding process its ok) - at least try a different wireless signal - just to see if you can connect to a wireless and its something wrong with your router

9. mgold8

mgold8 Thread Starter

I can't connect to the Neighbors. They have theirs Wireless Networks locked, which they should.

10. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

What else is connected wirelessly to your router

11. mgold8

mgold8 Thread Starter

I have a Printer Router, for wireless printing. That shouldn't affect that Roku though.

12. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

i would not think so - but what do you have connected to your wireless router
    I would be tempted to make a note of all the settings in the router and do a factory reset and reset up and see if connects - if you cant talk nicely to a neighbour and as a test see if you can connect to theres

what PCs / Laptops do you have connected wirelessly to the router

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So no chance you can hard wire it.

14. mgold8

mgold8 Thread Starter

I haven't tried connected it with an Ethernet cable! The whole point of the Roku is that it will work Wirelessly!

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think the point of the wired connection is just a test to see if it works, we're not saying that's a solution. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907339