1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Role Of ISP in Networking, Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by smartygoldenfish, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartygoldenfish

smartygoldenfish Thread Starter

i connected my xp and vista boxes by that ethernet wire through a DSL modem

i mapped X: in XP as some folder of vista and transferred some 100 MB of files.

I have following queries:

1. why is the speed so slow? its like 2.75 MBPS. Hard disk to Hard Disk is 18 MBPS.

2. When i transfer x MB of data, whats the role of ISP in it. Does this x mb go to ISP server and then it comes back? I have a [broadband] monthly bundled plan of 2 GB. Does transferring 2GB data, cost me ALL my 2GB alloted by my ISP. If Not, whats the role of ISP in all this. I observed if the xDSL line is switched off while MODEM is ON and both computers ON, DATA TRANSFER is not possible, as it can not connect to internet.
    When i am talking between two computers only, why is Internet connectivity so necessary? I observed connecting the Ethernet wire directly between both PCs doesn't allow them to connect.

3. I also used Remote Desktop Connection.
    a) Though RDC initiated from XP to Vista was perfectly possible, the converse was not true. The Vista PC simply could not find the other XP PC, while it could find in Mapping Network Drive.
    I remember that i disabled some services as in Here.

I also tried to enable some of them, but no respite.

I was forced to think does vista really suck.

b) In RDC is any Data transfer possible? ie in XP vista was shown, its appeared that xp's monitor was connected to Vista's CPU, and connected to its own CPU as well. But how to share files? Suppose i had a File on Vista Desktop, i could not send it to XP's desktop.
    Untill you have troubleshooting stuff or monitor has gone off, RDC is pretty useless then.
    A "drag and drop" or anything else would have been great.

c) Can i do Mapping of network drive Or RDC with my friend in another city on interent?
    When we both of to transfer files, we use rs or wikisend to first upload files and then download them. Its really a poor thing. We both are on net, cant we just map drives and share data.

You will feel that i need some idea for networking basics. If you know a tutorral/ebook/book plz send its link/name. It would be very good.
    Thanks...Please Reply

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of your "DSL modem"?

1. Hard to say; something else competing for network bandwidth or something else competing for CPU or hard drive or memory on one or both computers maybe.

2. The ISP and the modem have no role in LAN transfers. I'm assuming that you have a modem/router combo, and the LAN transfer will be totally handled in the ethernet switch part of the router.
    You realize, don't you, that direct ethernet connection between computers requires a cross-over cable unless one of the ports is auto-sensing?

3. a) Is the XP Pro or Home? RDC enabled? Non-Windows firewall blocking?
    If you disabled services w/o knowing why and what you were doing I don't expect I can help.

b) I don't remember, and don't feel like looking at the documentation now.

c) Yes for RDC; no for the others. UltraVNC may serve you better. Note that the first item in "Key features" is "file transfers"!

You seem to be doing OK on networking basics. Just round out your knowledge now with some web searches and especially with some reading and questions here. :)

3. smartygoldenfish

smartygoldenfish Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]
    this is the wire, i have 2 such wires.
    I connect to CPU (where "ethernet" is written") and other to my Unknow Router/modem.
    similarly i do for other wire.

I think this is crossover cable, so why cant i just directly connect them!
    I think there is a role of router in connection other than ISP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice