Roll Back Printer Drivers for Network Printer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cgheilman

Hi guys,

Kind of annoying problem here... I have an HP LaserJet 1200 hooked up via USB to a Mac that is running 10.5 (Leopard). For the printer's first 5 years or so everything was great. I could get new computers set up to print to the printer with no troubles, until recently.

Recently, I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and wanted to get the printer working again. I attempted to install the printer using the HP LaserJet 1200 PCL 6 printer drivers. It connected to the printer alright, but every time I printed it came out with a PCL XL Error: "Error: UnsupportedProtocol" instead of my document.

Now, every time I try to connect a new computer (Windows 7 or Windows XP, doesn't matter) the printer automatically installs the PCL 6 driver for the printer... which always prints out an error instead of the document I want. I can't find a way to manually choose the driver when I'm adding it because it's a network printer, not one that's locally hooked up.

I tried installing the PCL 5 driver manually, but the printer still ONLY wants the PCL 6 driver that gives me the errors. I tried to go to "Server Properties" while in Printers and Faxes to roll back the PCL 6 driver, but Windows can't find a driver to roll it back to.

Now, if I physically hook the printer up to the computer via a USB cable, it installs the PCL5 Driver and it works... but that's only when it's plugged directly in.

I'm extremely frustrated and would like any guidance anyone can give me. Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Christian

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online