1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RollBack Rx - System & Data Recovery Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hewee, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

2. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

Of course RollBack Rx would make us believe that a buffer is a bad thing because it takes up disk space. I have a separate partition for the Goback buffer and still have tons of free space in my other partitions.

I don't like the fact that, with RollBack Rx, we basically have to manually create a restore point. Most people are not inclined to backup their hardrive and prefer automated methods like Goback offers so they don't have to be bothered with such tasks. Although there is an option to schedule a task to create a snapshot on a regular basis.

Unlike Goback, the option to go back months seems appealing if it works. Especially for those who may not have the option or know how to do a fresh install.

I believe RollBack Rx, in the name of self promotion, has attempted to make a good product such as Goback seem inferior to its own. Maybe they are justified in doing so.

RollBack Rx may be an ok product and would be worth trying the free trial offer to see how it compares.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I prefer real backups. If you search the forum for GOBACK, you'll see plenty of people have had problems with it.

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

I think the best way to back up is to do disk clones but i also like system restore and goback is nice too. Might be worth the try.

5. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

I know there are other ways to do a backup like clones etc but that can still be done no mater what other restore type of programs you have.
    I too have heard some bad thing about Goback and it is running all the time where RollBack Rx does not need to run all the time and you can make many snapshots with many restore points.

6. JohnWill

Whatever floats your boat. I'll stick to real backups...

7. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Just trying to find out more John about the program.

From what I hear for real backup, clones, images of the drive that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is the best.
    Then I guess the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation is even better because of things like...
    New! Acronis Universal Restore — Restore to different hardware and recover from any unforeseen event (note: requires separate add-on license)

8. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

I read some reviews at other sites and decided to try RX out. I'm waiting for my licence via email.

What will I rate it? (n) or (y)

9. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Hey great but can you post links where you read the reviews at. :D

10. JohnWill

And we have the Review forum just for the purpose of posting reviews. :)

11. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

For reviews, I googled for the software and read user's opinions on the different sites that distribute it.

RX seems to do just as well as Goback except it isn't as automatic. I like the feature where I can right click on the icon in the system tray and take a snapshot before I try new software. With Goback, the computer needs to reboot as it prepares a buffer for safetry mode.

12. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yes I know it is not automatic and I think that is better too. Then you can take the snapshots like you said before and after any install. Plus if you get the one version you can have up to 30,000 snapshots. Not that you need that many but more then one snapshot is good to have.
    Then others things in the way it works seems to be better the Goback too from what I read.

Will have to google to read more on this.

Thanks. Post back on how it has been working.

Hey here is something that is not the same but can be used for trying out software.
    Test-Run by BB
    http://dogkennels.net/testrun/testrun.htm
    I bet there are lots of other newer programs that do the same type of thing and more now too.

13. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

I think your right. The less it runs in the background, the less resources.

I like the fact that when I roll back the computer, It is by default set up to take a snapshot first. I can disable this option...but why? By keeping it enabled, I can recover any files I need or want. The file recovery option is more user friendly then Goback's too. I tested the file recovery option after doing a rollback and it performed very well by retreaving a word doc that created first for the test.

One feature that RX has and Goback doesn't is that I can set it up so that no one but me can use it on a network. However, I can give limited of full access to the program to whomsoever I want on a network if I so desire. Great feature.

The next thing I am going to test, is it's ability to rescue me from a severily infected computer. I am going to go fishing for trojans and viruses probably this weekend to test RX's ability to fix my computer. Since RX runs outside of Windows, It should be able to rescue my computer if it boots or not. I will let you know how it turns out.

I am really beginning to like this software. (y)

14. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yes that is what I like too that it only runs when you want it too or how you set it up.
    Good that you can keep anyone else from using it too or give them the rights if need be.
    Wow that will be some test your going to do. Then to test it also where no way will the PC will even boot because it got so screwed up and have RX be able to boot and restore it.

What all can you back up your snapshots backup to?

Hard drive, CD, DVD, Ext drive, zip, etc?

15. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

Today I tested this software further. After wading through virus infested P2P files, It took me about fifteen minutes to download a trojan and a worm.
    • Gaobot.df
    • Troj-dropper-zp
    PC-Cillin did it"s job and notified me. I configured PC-Cillin to report to me only and take no action. However, when the PC-Cillin Firewall told me that the worm was trying to send information to who knows where, I blocked the worm from doing so and then halted all internet traffic right after.

After Infecting my computer, I went a little further. I edited my boot.ini file and system.ini file by deleting everything in the editor and saved them so that they were blank. I rebooted, and not to my surprise, Windows wouldn't boot up.

Now came the big test. I made sure to take a snapshot before I started testing Rx Rollback. I depressed the "Home" key when given the green light to do so and selected the snapshot that I created just before the test. Rollback RX only took about two to three seconds to repair my computer and start the booting process. It is very much faster compared to Goback. I did a virus check and my system came up clean.

Rollback RX did it's job as advertised. And I am very impressed with how fast it was at repairing my system. This software is very good and "fast". :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice