1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RollerCoaster Tycoon install error

Discussion in 'Games' started by jpier45, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpier45

jpier45 Thread Starter

When I attempt to right click and open rct from the 'American' folder I get the message: GSK Error Trapper, Below this is a large red circle with an X and the wording 'Error Location: Unknown. I am using Toshiba C55 Satellite with Windows 10. I already spent much time researching, changing compatibility to Windows 95/Windows ME and a few other things, but haven't found what works yet. This is the original RollerCoaster Tycoon Gold Edition that came with another CD. I even read the READ ME on the CD without success. Dunno if there is a DirectX issue or not. I sent a request to Atari explaining the issue, but haven't heard a response yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If the compatibility tab does not solve the problem, then it most like will never work. The only solution is to use VirtualBox. It allows you to install Windows 95 or any other version of Windows so that it runs as an application, in a normal application window. You can maximize that application window, and it will be just as if the whole machine is running Windows 95, or whichever version of Windows you installed into VirtualBox. Then you install Tycoon into that.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

3. jpier45

jpier45 Thread Starter

lunarlander, thank you for your suggestion for a Virtual Box. I installed it and am stuck on a screen that reads: 'FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted. I can't figure out what to do next...

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

5. jpier45

jpier45 Thread Starter

So I shouldn't have thrown away my old Windows CD's?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Nope. But you maybe able to find them on the net. Be careful of what you download though.

7. jpier45

jpier45 Thread Starter

I haven't tried to install Windows 95 and have not received a reply from Atari regarding my install error question. Anyone out there who views this thread and knows what may be helpful is free to post suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help!

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If the game was running in DOS, then DOSBOX is maybe the one you need. But trying to run an old game (20 years old!) on a modern system is really stretching it.

It looks like it's on Steam so perhaps you can purchase it there instead? Steam should have theirs updated to work on Windows 10.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice