1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ROM Chip Password

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MatHuffman, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MatHuffman

MatHuffman Thread Starter

I have a backup system, an old PB Platinum Pro 755. I pulled the HD to install Win98 on it, because the woman I got it from said it didn't work (read paid $50). When I boot it up, it checks memory, finds drives, then says checking ROM chip, then asks for Password 1, Password 2, Password 3. I cannot tell which ROM it would be. The rest of the system is fine; I cannot find any way around the passwords, as it locks up the system. Anyone with ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

It is a PB Platinum Pro 775, 2.5G HD, running at 200 mHz on PII chip, model number A960-TWR.

Contact me at [email protected] with ideas and solutions other than throwing it out

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Hi MatHuffman...

Restart in safe mode and go into "Search for files or folders" And type into the search... "*.pwl".
    Any file that comes up... make the ".pwl" extention ".old"
    Then Restart...

Good luck :)

3. brianF

brianF

New one on me. Sounds like you can't get passed the bios passwords. If so, about the only thing to try is to remove the cmos battery for ten or fifteen minutes and hope the cmos resets to default. If so, you will have to enter cmos and re setup the drives.

4. DMC2

DMC2

Would the backdoor passwords work?

Standard BIOS backdoor passwords

The first, less invasive, attempt to bypass a BIOS password is to try on of these standard manufacturer's backdoor passwords:

AWARD BIOS
    AWARD SW, AWARD_SW, Award SW, AWARD PW, _award, awkward, J64, j256, j262, j332, j322, 01322222, 589589, 589721, 595595, 598598, HLT, SER, SKY_FOX, aLLy, aLLY, Condo, CONCAT, TTPTHA, aPAf, HLT, KDD, ZBAAACA, ZAAADA, ZJAAADC, djonet, %øåñòü ïpîáåëîâ%, %äåâÿòü ïpîáåëîâ%

AMI BIOS
    AMI, A.M.I., AMI SW, AMI_SW, BIOS, PASSWORD, HEWITT RAND, Oder

Other passwords you may try (for AMI/AWARD or other BIOSes)
    LKWPETER, lkwpeter, BIOSTAR, biostar, BIOSSTAR, biosstar, ALFAROME, Syxz, Wodj

http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html < here's were I got it from

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/73964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice