1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

rom drive problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pcwebber007, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcwebber007

pcwebber007 Thread Starter

I have a Windows Me system with plenty of harddrive and memory space. When I start up my computer and it boots to windows, I can not get into my burner to record :( the light stays on and it will not open :confused: I have know idea what is going on!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look in device manager
    start
    control panel
    system
    (not sure where device manager is in ME now 1) on a tab or 2) hardware tab and halfway down device manager)
    any yellow triangels against the CD
    post what is in device mangeer for CD

3. pcwebber007

No yellow triangles against the cd.

4. iq454

iq454

Is there a disk in the drive? Sometimes they stay shut if it's still trying to read a scratched disk.

If not,to be sure the drive actually works, restart your pc, then at anytime before it boots to the OS, try opening it with the eject button on the drive. Still closed? then somethng is wrong with the drive. If it opens, then I'm betting theres a disk inside that it doesn't like.

I remember a problem like this I had years ago, i'll see if I can remember what was the cause.

Other than that, I don't know of anything else.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you do have a disk stuck inside th edrive - follow iq454 advice first - but to get the Cd out.
    take a paperclip and straighten and you will see a small hole just below the disk tray - push the paper clip into the hole - this should release the CD drawer

6. pcwebber007

There is no disk in drive. I know about the hole but the drive I'm talking about is the "D " drive.

7. iq454

iq454

So that's what them little holes are for, lol, nice man ;) (y)

Hey, I think you misunderstand me a little or I misunderstand you.

When I mean stuck, I don't mean stuck as in, completely stuck(off the track), I mean, when you have a scratched cd in the drive, sometimes it can be a snob and take forever to say it likes it or not, this is when the light stays on and sometimes it just stays shut until you reboot and quickly push the eject button before your OS boots, otherwise it will continue to stay shut if you boot into the OS, because it tries to read it again, and will get stuck again..

8. iq454

iq454

Well now I've totally lost you, D: drive? you're still talking about your burner, being your cd burner arent you? can be D, E, F, G, H, I and blah blah, be specific about what you're trying to accomplish... I thought you wanted to open your burner to put a cd in and burn stuff? well, if you know theres no disk in it, then I guess it opens? So mission accomplished or?

9. pcwebber007

Yes, I'm talking about my burner! I can open it with a manual eject but it will not record.

10. iq454

iq454

Now I'm really :confused:

So the problem is not that you can't open it, it's just that it doesn't burn?
    Run us through your process.

11. pcwebber007

When I turn on the computer, the light in the CD-Rom flashes and sometimes the black & white Gateway splash screen comes up and then I do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then the Windows splash screen comes up. When the Windows splash screen comes up everthing is like it should be except the drive door will not open when when I push the button and the scan disk comes up in dos mode and then in regular mode. I hope I'm explaining this right. This is the first time I have had this problem!

12. sirbob

sirbob

If you can't open the drive, how do you know there's no disk in the drive?

13. pcwebber007

I can do a manual eject.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice