1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

rometotalwar/imperial glory with ATI radeon x300?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamesrwatson, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesrwatson

jamesrwatson Thread Starter

After many months of fine help from people on tsg forums, i have realised that this computer is clunking towards a halt and have ordered a new one from dell. The realisation that the average ipod has 10x the hard drive of my pc helped, but the local company offering broadband for less than my dial up means i am switching at the end of the month and want a fresh start.

The new machine will be a dell dimension 8400:
    P4 530 (3.00GHz, 800fsb, 1MB cache)
    1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz
    160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst cache
    128 MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X300 SE
    48x/32x/48x/16x CDRW/DVD-ROM combo drive

I mainly use the desktop for work and pootling (my current word of the month: http://www.answers.com/pootle) about on the internet.
    I do have a modest interest in games when i have the time though. I realise this machine is not for high end gaming, however i do not want to run the very latest games with all the graphics maxed out.

The only thing i am concerned about is the graphics card. I couldnt find many reviews googling the model although those i did find were not all together complimentary. Adding £250 to the price for a 256mb nvidia card seemed VERY pricey. To get to the point, would i be able to play rome:total war or imperial glory at a reasonable level with this system or would i need a new gfx card? If these are beynd its capabilities would something like battlefield 1942 run ok? I understand these are relatively new and system draining games.

I updated my current machine with a 128mb geforce fx5200 (which i believe is in the same sort of budget category). Would this give better performance than the radeon x300 if i slapped it in the new machine? (i can feel myself breaking out in a cold sweat at the thought of taking a screwdriver to my soon to be arriving spanking new pc)

My current hodgepodge (my word of the month feb 2004: http://www.answers.com/hodgepodge) of components which manages 256 mb ram, 900mhz duron processor and nvidia geforce fx5200, can just about run games like mafia or vietcong with all the gfx throttled back. Will the increased ram and better processor compensate for the poor video card?

sorry this was so rambling, but will the x300 be ok or will it cripple the system as a mid range gaming comp? all feedback gratefully received.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/364360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice