1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Roomate's Internet Connection VS. My Internet Connection?!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zelda90Knightess, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zelda90Knightess

Zelda90Knightess Thread Starter

So my roommate uses a Dell Desktop (Windows 10) connected to the Ethernet while I use a Dell Laptop (Windows 7) connected to the WiFi. Our internet plan is through Spectrum and we receive 200 Megabits per second at a monthly charge of $70. When we're both online, I notice his connection is fine, but my internet connection consistently every other minute crashes and I have to troubleshoot in order to get it back online. This also happens when I log into the PS3 while he's using his desktop computer, I'll eventually lose internet connection and my game crashes, sometime the tv will shut off on its own as well. So what is causing this, and how do we fix it?

Attached Files:

• merp.PNG
      merp.PNG
      File size:
      134.1 KB
      Views:
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What have you learned from your troubleshooting? You must have eliminated some possibilities.

3. Zelda90Knightess

When I troubleshoot, it will state something in the connection is damaged or broken, but we check the router and all the cables, which shows nothing wrong. We even had our internet provider come in twice to inspect, and they did say it could because we're in the basement level of an apartment complex, and the bandwidth is getting zapped due to three devices being hooked up.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's a bunch of baloney. Neither ethernet nor Wi-Fi cares about whether it is basement, attic or somewhere between. And 200 Mbps divided by three devices is still more than enough for each to be streaming HD movies or playing games with lots left over.

If, of course, you are really getting somewhere near 200 Mbps. Have you checked your bandwidth under different conditions using Speedtest.net or similar?

Have you checked for wireless interference? Checked to see if your PC is OK with ethernet when the desktop is on?

The laptop (and other devices) does not have trouble when the desktop is off?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Explain a bit about this.

Three devices sharing 200Mbps should not have any problem.
    Our home has 2 desktop computers (wired), 2 laptops (wireless), 2 android tablets, one android smart phone a wired and a wireless printer. Sometimes several devices are on and nothing gets kicked off the internet.

The fact that the tv turns off might mean that there is an electrical wiring problem.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Can you clarify about the TV... do you mean the cable TV signal goes out, or the actual TV turns off? If the latter, I agree with plodr that you may have an electrical issue.

7. Zelda90Knightess

So I did a speed test and the picture is what I get from that.
    Yes, the TV itself will turn off completely and I'll have to restart it. There's also been moments were the TV will make a sudden sharp static sound that's very brief. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but the internet is still acting wacky in connection. My landlord swore up and down the wiring was good, but I've had my suspicions on it as well.

Attached Files:

• xd.PNG
      xd.PNG
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
  8. RT

RT

Not to add confusion, but I do not trust a speed test as offered by my ISP. In my case Spectrum now uses Speedtest.net, as Terry mentioned, which I trusted before they (Spectrum) adopted it.

Regardless, it's obvious you are not getting the speed you're paying for, from the result you posted.
    So try this instead: SpeedOf.Me

Using Spectrum, you must have the currently supported connective hardware, as such cable modem, router, etc. which is listed on their website.
    My service of Spectrum, here in my area, only offers 100 Mbps, max.

This might be a moot question, but what TV are you using?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I assume you mean the Cable TV box and not the actual TV? If so then you may want to have the ISP technician inspect the lines, but then everyone would be affected by the drop off....

10. Zelda90Knightess

Sorry for the late posting, getting ready for Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and support our Troops for making every holiday a free one! <3 )
    My roommate and I own a Sony BRAVIA BX450 Series KDL-BX450 - 46 in LCD TV - 1080p
    We have two internet modems, no cable box, and only one modem is in use which is for Spectrum.

Attached Files:

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming those speed tests were with an ethernet connected computer you are getting less than 3% of your expected bandwidth from the ISP.

If, as Liz and James have said, you have an electrical problem I suppose that could be affecting the modem. If you are using a surge suppressor or power strip, especially for the modem or TV, try without.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    wow that is a big difference, especially if you are direct to the modem. Falling short of everyone in your area having the same speed issue, then this may potentially be a separate issue.

Get the ISP to send a technician to check for signal noise issues. If they are reporting the signals is good on the outside but not inside, then you have a house wiring issue.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice