Root Certificate problems???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Oldman2

Hello,
Is there a Root Certificate Guru in the house? :rolleyes:

Here is my problem.

First I should say I reinstalled Windows XP onto C drive and had my data located on D drive this helps for saving when I get hit with virus's or whatever else. After re-installing on C I try to access the files that I think I encrypted on D I can see them but I cannot copy or use them as I don't have permission to.? If I select the file then advanced properties I see the old me as the owner of the file.

I have tried to apply my root certificate to the files but when I try to add my certificate it will not allow me to?

Any help would be appreciatted. Thanks for reading :eek:

Oldman2 said:
Hello,
Is there a Root Certificate Guru in the house? :rolleyes:

Here is my problem.

First I should say I reinstalled Windows XP onto C drive and had my data located on D drive this helps for saving when I get hit with virus's or whatever else. After re-installing on C I try to access the files that I think I encrypted on D I can see them but I cannot copy or use them as I don't have permission to.? If I select the file then advanced properties I see the old me as the owner of the file.

I have tried to apply my root certificate to the files but when I try to add my certificate it will not allow me to?

Any help would be appreciatted. Thanks for reading :eek:
Is your D: drive a partition or a CD drive or other?

Oldman2

Hi,
Thanks for inquiry. The "D" drive is a partition on the same drive. I have tried to take ownership of the directory by logging in safe mode and then doing the advanced properties area it will not let me take over anything.Hmm..
Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. :confused:

Oldman2 said:
Hi,
Thanks for inquiry. The "D" drive is a partition on the same drive. I have tried to take ownership of the directory by logging in safe mode and then doing the advanced properties area it will not let me take over anything.Hmm..
Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. :confused:

Upon reinstalling windows that partition may have been locked out for XP's use only.

On a drive without enough space XP won't partition a drive with a restore file upon install but if the drive is big enough a restore partition will appear.

What was the exact premise and purpose of your D: drive before you reinstalled? You created it to save files or was created originally by the first windows install or that partion was there from the factory in the event that it is or was an OEM computer?

You might be able to plug that drive into another XP machine as a slave drive and attempt to get your saved files out of that partition.

I find it curious that you could have manually saved files to that partition in the first place which is why I asked what was the premise and purpose of your D: before you reinstalled windows.

Oldman2

Hello,

I will try to make it clearer. Initially upon install of XP I made the single 80 Gig drive into 2 partitions. I also had another drive as a slave that was 20 G.

On drive "D" the second partion of disk 1 I had placed the files in a dir then I think I encrypted it as well.

After a system crash, I think spyware was problem, I reinstalled XP again onto the same C partition. I created a new name for the install and everthing installed to the "C" drive as expected. However when I tried to open the directory files on the "D" partition the files are coloured green( I think that means they are encrypted) and when I try to access them I get a access denied. I see that when I look at the prop./advanced items, the old me from the previous install is the owner, so I tried to ad the new me with the add new users option and initially it adds me, I press OK then it tries to write to the properties I assume and it reports "access denied". :confused:
Hope this clarifies things somewhat.
:)

Oldman2 said:
Hello,

I will try to make it clearer. Initially upon install of XP I made the single 80 Gig drive into 2 partitions. I also had another drive as a slave that was 20 G.

On drive "D" the second partion of disk 1 I had placed the files in a dir then I think I encrypted it as well.

After a system crash, I think spyware was problem, I reinstalled XP again onto the same C partition. I created a new name for the install and everthing installed to the "C" drive as expected. However when I tried to open the directory files on the "D" partition the files are coloured green( I think that means they are encrypted) and when I try to access them I get a access denied. I see that when I look at the prop./advanced items, the old me from the previous install is the owner, so I tried to ad the new me with the add new users option and initially it adds me, I press OK then it tries to write to the properties I assume and it reports "access denied". :confused:
Hope this clarifies things somewhat.
:)
If you used some encryption software to put those files there encrypted maybe the same software will retrieve them?

Other than I I could only suggest maybe plugging it into another computer as a slave drive and attempt to get the files off of it that way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts